1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odessa American sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxer, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It seems to me the football powerhouses are now mostly in the suburbs of the big metros. Southlake Carroll, Katy High, Cy-Fair, Austin Westlake, etc.

Times have changed since that Odessa Permian vs. Dallas Carter back in the mid-80s. The tough oil town team and the inner-city teams don't fare as well, in general, these days as the big-money suburban scools.

2. ccraker

ccraker Guest

That's true to a point, though Midland Lee won three titles in a row pretty recently and Permian was one of the top-ranked teams in the state this last season.

Obviously, the suburban schools are good, but I think it moves in cycles with the inner city and oil-country teams. Plus, with a major boom going on in oil country - read West Texas - that means more people are moving there and the high schools will have more talent.

The last time there was a boom - the 1980s - was the last time Permian had a dynasty.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm glad something finally happened to slow down the population drain out west. I've watched every year as Region I has spread eastward. The only thing that sucks worse than a drive to Abilene for an area-round game is a trip to Midland/Odessa for a regional.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

If you live out in El Paso and it's playoff time, does the paper pay for a plane to Dallas or Houston, or do they say "here's your 32 cents a mile. Load up the Corolla" or something like that?

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That would be assuming El Paso schools make the playoffs.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

chris gove is an effin' stud.

7. ccraker

ccraker Guest

Since Southwest did away with the El Paso to Midland flight, you are definitely driving.

Generally, the El Paso schools will play their playoff games in the Odessa/Midland area, so there will be a few games going on and they will have a reporter drive out there and then have a photog from Odessa shoot it.

And El Paso to Odessa isn't that far, it's only like 260 miles each way for a high school playoff game.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're on the El Paso-area soccer beat, you're golden. Any other sports, you'll probably be done in 3 rounds.

And if an EP team meets a Panhandle team in the playoffs, they will most often actually play in New Mexico.

Truth. East Texas teams have played Panhandle teams in Oklahoma before. And don't forget the 2006 Highland Park-Texarkana football playoff game that was played in Shreveport.

I wonder if the day will come when a Brownsville team will play an EP team in Mexico.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

isn't the speed limit like 80 there now?

10. If it's not, it should. That way you can get the hell out as fast as possible.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

How far is it if it's not for a high school playoff game? ;)

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

about 7 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted