1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oden out for the season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 13, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Back to this, Henry Abbot made a great point on Truehoop. While he may be back for the beginning of next season it's unlikely he'll be at full strength.

Look at Amare Stoudamire and his comeback from a similar procedure. It was only last season that he fully regained the explosiveness he exhibited before the surgery.

If Oden is available to come back in March, which would be in a best case scenario, it may be until maybe March 2009 before he's fully healthy.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Post of the year?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Look, I'm sorry Spnited. Usually I don't jump in on the Spnited-is-old thing, and I promise I won't ever do it again.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Good point. Microfracture surgery is very iffy. Stoudamire and Jason Kidd made it all the way back, but it took more than a season before they were full strength. A lot of other guys, including Penny Hardaway, Allan Houston and Antonio McDyess, were never the same.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

No problem River... your juvenile stupidity knows no bounds.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

*smooch*

We'll always have Yadier Molina, though, right?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm hopeful he'll come back healthy. I'm just concerned that people will expect too much from his too soon after he returns.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And fucking Aaron Heilman :mad:

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm with you, he seems like a great kid. Check out his blog on yardbarker, just seems like a genuine, humble kid -- his "cribs" footage of his old house is hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting up in arms over the good-natured jabs about him in this thread, just saying that he really does seem like a good kid and I feel bad for him.

10. IU90

IU90 Member

I was just reading about this surgery and, you're right, the track record for full recovery isn't that great. This is definately serious news. Even in the successful cases, it takes about 12 months after returning to the game until the player reaches his old form, which was the cases with Kidd and Stoudamire who did make it all the way back. But there's a whole lot more cases out there that never make it back to the same player they were before. And none I know of involved a kid needing it as young as Oden (worn-out "Oden is old" jokes notwithstanding).

So, unfortunately, this means that if we're ever gonna see the true Greg Oden (remember he played most of this year with a cast on his shooting arm), it probably won't be until 2009 at the earliest. In the meantime, both he and the Blazers will undoubtedly endure countless more Bowie II lines.

Sad because, as others have said, he really is an unusually nice and gracious kid.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Allan Houston is one of those who had microfracture surgery and never really came back ...

although the Nets are talking about bringing him in this season!

12. noodles

noodles Member

Mr. Oden, there's a Mr. Bowie on line 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted