1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oden or Durant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 6, 2007.

?

Who would you pick if the draft was tomorrow and you had the first pick?

1. Greg Oden

22 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Kevin Durant

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chester

chester Member

I'd have to go with Oden, especially once that wrist heals up. Just in a couple of games I've seen, he's looked like the best player on the floor, and he's probably not at 100 percent.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

It's easy to say take the big man, but the NBA game has changed so much in the past 15 years. Good teams can limit a big man, especially during crunch time. A guy like Durant can take over games at the end, because he can get the ball 30 feet from the basket and make things happen. Big men can't do that.

Give me Durant.

3. Kevin Garnett or Patrick Ewing.
    Discuss.

4. Skills? Garnett.
    Sweat? Ewing.

5. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

The only thing that limits a big man at the end of a game is not a defence but the big mans inability to make free throws.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Oden's impressive even if he's not 100 percent, but Durant has been playing like a man of late. He could be the next stud.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Exactly.

Basketball now -- at any level -- is about spacing. If you have the opportunity to take a 6-10 guy who, in addition to being able to handle the basketball and post up himself on occasion, can shoot it from 25 feet, you take him. No questions asked. And that's who Durant is.

No doubt, Oden will be a stud on the next level as well. But I want a guy who can do it all -- not just shoot jump hooks in the lane, rebound and block shots.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Actually, it's both of those things.

9. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

I stand by my pick of Oden but in reality who cares from the perspective that teams and fans alike are going to be happy with whichever one they pick. Both guys are phenomenal players.

Brave call for which I will no doubt get flak for but Oden potentially a top 10 all time center, and Durant a position defining 3 an absolute game changer.

Whether it is right or wrong that they have to go to college befroe NBA eligibility, watching these two in college has damn near made people salivate at the thought of these guys in the pro's!

Edit: Actually you take the guy who at the end of 3 years or whatever isn't gonna get a cap killing salary that prevents the other pieces being accumulated around him. This is tenuous I know but let's hope Durant is only compared to Garnett the player and not the Garnett the contract!

10. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

In basketball heaven I want all that too. In basket ball reality I take a jump hooking, rebounding, shot blocking Tim Duncan, Olajuwon, Robinson above a Garnett or Nowitski (spelling)

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The game hass changed on its face but not in the reality. You still need the rebounding and ability to draw defenders from the perimeter and score easy baskets around the rim. The guys like Kobe, LeBron and KG dominate the individuality but not the real games. The Mavs came oh so close in large part because of Dirk and Josh but also because there was Dampier and Diop doing the rebounding and getting putbacks. The Heat won in large, okay almost totally because of Wade, but also would not have won without, not so much Shaq, but 'Zo. Zo was beyond comprehension. Though Shaq was the starter, 'Zo was the game changer. Without 'Zo, Mavs win despite Wade's greatness.

Oden over Durant.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

And remind me again how many rings Garnett has?

Draft saved Draft deleted