1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oden done for season ... again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 18, 2010.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Weren't there some questions about whether McAdoo was already under contract to the Virginia Squires?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

A little of both, guy.

Rockets took Olajuwon at No. 1. Blazers, who had Clyde Drexler at the time, felt they did not need a shooting guard but needed a big man. Took Bowie despite a history of leg injuries at Kentucky.
    Nobody realized at the time just how great Jordan would become so the pick looked much, much worse as the years went on.

3. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Man, you just gotta hope he keeps working hard and at some point can salvage a career. Grant Hill has carved out a nice niche for himself after years and years of injury issues. Greg is much younger than Hill was when his problems started, so maybe (hopefully) there's still a possibility. Feel for the big guy because he seems so down to earth and humble, yet he just cannot catch a break (no pun intended).

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

actually Duckworth being your best center over the last 20 years, probably 30, isn't that bad. i'd say that's better than at least 15 teams. who's the Bulls best center over that span, possibly Bill Cartwright.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Coming out of high school, Bowie was very highly regarded. I think he was compared with Ralph Sampson. If healthy, he would not have been a slouch, but he could not stay healthy.

(H)Akeem turned out just fine, and Houston has a couple of titles with him, so it is tough to argue against him.

Before Jordan, the center was always the most important position on the basketball floor. The shittiest centers to win a title before the Pistons and Bulls was probably Jack Sickma and Robert Parrish, and they were very good.

Everyone knew Jordan was special. All you needed to watch was the game film of Carolina/UVA at UNC when Jordan, with four fouls, brought Carolina back from 15 down. But it was still thought in the NBA you needed that center.

In one minute, Jordan, with four fouls, hits a basket to bring UNC to withen one, picks a future All-American PG at halfcourt clean for the one dunk in my life I wish I could have seen in person and then rips the final rebound away from Sampson as time expires.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_ttHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=l_8MAAAAIBAJ&pg=2669,1617147&dq=jordan+carolina+sampson+comeback+carm&hl=en

Bob Knight coached Jordan in the 1984 Olympics and the story goes that an NBA hocho called Knight to inquire about Jordan. Knight said something like Jordan was the greatest basketball player he had ever coached and probably seen. The NBA honcho said his team really needed a center, though, and that is the way they were leaning.

Knights response...

Then play him [Jordan] at center.

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

There's a lot of teams that would take a risk on him. If people are still taking chances on Shaun Livingston, then I don't see why they wouldn't give Oden a chance.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Some team that doesnt' need him will give Oden some cash. A year or two down the line he'll come back and haunt the Blazers for years.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

bunch of predictions from SportsJournalists.com members on Oden vs. Durant

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/37051/

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Oden Broken

[​IMG]

http://www.theonion.com/articles/careless-blazers-goofing-around-with-basketball-sh,18448/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nice pull, poin. Some interesting comments in there, especially in light of how things have played out.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I love the arrogance of TWOBACK in that debate.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We need to find the one right before the draft when most of the discussion was straight up Oden vs. Durant.

Draft saved Draft deleted