1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oden done for season ... again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 18, 2010.

1. melock

melock Active Member

Didn't see this anywhere else or in the NBA thread. Figured it deserved its own thread since the guy was the No. 1 pick three years ago, one spot ahead of Kevin Durant. I would have picked Oden then, too, since you'll never live down passing on a big guy who could become a star. And it's not as if Oden was injury prone in high school or college (except for a wrist injury).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5819493

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Sucks but I wouldn't have picked him #1. Never thought he had the offensive skills to be a dominant center. Thought his ceiling would be Okafor.

3. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

Didn't he have two semi-serious injuries (handicapping, if not sidelining injuries) during his five-month stint as a college basketball player?

4. melock

melock Active Member

I agree with that as far as his offensive skills go, but he was so good defensively that getting 12-15 ppg might have been good enough. Looks like we might never know.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It would be more news-worthy if he stayed healthy for a season

6. Oz

Oz Active Member

I loved Durant coming out of college, and I was never completely sold on Oden, but I understood why the Blazers took Oden No. 1. Tough to pass on someone who could completely change the complexion of the game on defense despite limited offense.

7. melock

melock Active Member

Looks like he only had a wrist injury that he sustained in high school. Had surgery on it and missed beginning of 2006-07 at Ohio State.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

LaRue Martin, Sam Bowie, Greg Oden.
    The Blazers sure know how to draft big men.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Coming out of college he looked like he was going to be the closest thing we've seen to Bill Russel since the original - like Ewing seemed coming out. Durant was a great swingman, but you have one of those in every draft. I'll admit that I didn't watch much of them in college, but were you able to tell about Durant that he was that much better than the #1 pick in other drafts? I thought Oden was the pick at the time.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Spnited, Sam Bowie was the first person to come to mind when I heard this. Pretty bad when your best center over the past 20 years has been Kevin Duckworth. Don't forget Bill Walton couldn't stay healthy either.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Blazers' original draft fuck up:

1972: LaRue Martin at No. 1 ahead of Bob McAdoo

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I was too young at the time - were people criticizing the Bowie pick at the time, or was it all hindsight?

Draft saved Draft deleted