1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd. This wasn't on Notre Dame's Weis transcript.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigDog, Sep 21, 2007.

1. There is no way that ND can afford Meyer now, and no way he'd take the job, particularly if Weis leaves the program in rubble.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Is your objection that the reporter said "metabolize" to a fat man? I don't think there was anything wrong with the question. If Weis had talked about Clausen in terms of being happy about his mentality, a natural follow up would be whether Weis was happy with how he's absorbing the X's and O's.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Holtz left because he was straightforwardly told that Tony Rice was the last sub-Mendoza line academic type he was going to be permitted to mine. And we move on.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, and how well that's turned out for the Irish.
    Tony Rice graduated and became a fine representative for old ND.
    The Irish turned into a laughingstock football program.
    Serves 'em right.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Word was that it was Randy Moss that Holtz wanted to get in and ND administration tightened up standards - It was when Fr Joyce retired and Father Beuchamp took over.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Randy Moss is playing like a god damn charmion right now, ain't he, Irish fans?

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Moss was in. Signed letter of intent. Then he got charged with assault in a racially-related fight at his high school. Pled and sentenced to probation. ND revoked his scholarship and he wound up at Florida State. He messed up his probation and went to jail, where he failed a drug test, and FSU gave him up, too. So he landed at Marshall.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Anything in this thread we weren't all saying about Belicheck at his first coaching job?

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You can hate the construct, I don't like it much either, gives the impression of a writer who didn't know how to start the piece - but the lie argument is absurd. There's an implied "Pretend" at the beginning. That's not the problem, it's just cheap & annoying.

And is "historical proportions" correct?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

the column device is fine. one of the best sports columnists ever, the late jimmy cannon, used it often. this column was outstanding, imho. 8) 8) 8)

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ND now also selectively editing the comments of visiting coaches:

In direct response to Rob Parker of the Detroit News, who in a column Friday wrote,

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm sorry, and I know this is going to tick people off, but apparently Jimmy Cannon could whiff now and then, as well.
    It's a lazy, inaccurate way to write a column.
    Even if "Imagine you're Charlie Weis..." is included and it takes the lie out of it, it's still off the mark. Because if you're trying to get the reader to imagine he's Charlie Weis, presumably you're doing it to create empathy.
    There's no empathy in this column; not that there should be. It's mostly a series of presentations about the mistakes and questionable decisions Weis has made. There's a ton of good stuff in there, but hanging that much stuff on this particular tree does not work. If you're trying to get me to identify with Weis, you're wearing me down with all the stuff he's done that I'm supposed to connect to. At some point, I'd just holler "Enough."
    Now, if you keep me as the reader on the outside and just keep slinging, I can watch that.
    This column is not as effective as it should be, and all because it starts with "You are Charlie Weis."

Draft saved Draft deleted