1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd story on SNL/SCTV bit player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, May 14, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/213298

I only vaguely remember the guy, but he appears to be in a Canadian Gitmo situation.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wow. This is a terrible fate.

That said, I was no fan of Tony Rosato (or Robin Duke) on SCTV. They just never clicked.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I remember Tony Rosato when he used to drink at Mick E. Finn's on Yonge Street (a scummy joint spitting distance to j-school) back in the late 70s and 80s. I think the story here understated the degree to which booze and, more so, drugs impacted his state of mind. Word was he did more than use drugs, but what would I know? We could never figure out what a friend of the SCTV types was doing in such a down-market joint.

Sidenote: And I let Robin Duke and C O'Hara butt in front of my girlfriend and me in the line-up for Zelig.

YHS, etc

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was never a big fan of Rosato but Cooking With Marcello on SCTV always cracked me up.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not sure that's quite the right analogy. I wonder if it's some quirk in Canadian law?

I guess I should read to the end before asking ...

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember watching him on "Night Heat," which was a pretty good CTV cop show. Pretty good compared to a lot of stuff on the air at that time, no matter what side of the border you were on.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I remember that. Cop stories but with a newspaper guy as one of the main characters, right?

Yes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Heat

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's the one! Created by Sonny Grosso.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Night Heat, with music by East York's and Sammon Avenue's own guitar legend, Dominic Troiano (RIP).

YHS, etc

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

You can never trust a Rosato. Just ask Frankie Pentangeli

12. IU90

IU90 Member

Imprisoned 2 years with no trial, right to bail denied, and no medical treatment despite evidence of mental illness? Nice criminal justice system they've got up there. Guess the Canadian constitution left out that line about the criminally accused having a right to a speedy trial. And if he's acquited what do they say? Oops, sorry bout those two years of your life gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted