1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd situation, what would you have done?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

So I was doing some dishes today when I hear a few bangs on my apartment door. When I go to the door it's open and there is a stranger there. He (in his early 20s) asks to use my phone. He says he is friends with my neighbor who I've met, and they aren't answering the door. I live in an apartment building in a city with about 25 units. You either need a key or have to be buzzed in to be let in, though sometimes the door is left ajar.

I let him use my phone. He says they didn't pick up, then sits down in a chair. He says he'll call back in a few minutes. I go back and do some more dishes because he is within sight. He asks if I smoke cigarettes. I say no, then he asks me if I smoke weed and offers to sell me some. He asks to use the bathroom and I try to show him where it is, he says he know, pressumably because his friend's apt is the same layout. He then walks into my room and sits down on my bed without asking. He calls his friends again and talks to someone. I ask him to finish his call then to leave because I need to leave for work. He asks me for some money for gas so he can pick up his wife and kid, or something like that. I give him a five.
    He is about to make another call, but asks me for some privacy. I say no and he gets a lil upset. I tell him I don't know him and I don't want to leave him alone in my room. I again ask him to make one last call and leave. He then asks for some singles to get on the bus. I say I've already given him some money, but said he needs singles. At this point I'm starting to get really freaked out by the guy. I look again in my wallet and give him two singles and ask him to leave. He gets a lil annoyed that I'm asking him to leave. I tell him I need to get to work and I don't know him, so please leave. He leaves. I lock the door and shower and get ready for work. I'm a little creeped out until I leave for work. When he left he possibly went next door, where he first claimed he had a friend who lived there, then that he lived there.

The whole time he was in my apartment I was a little freaked out because the guy looked kind of sketchy and I had never seen him. I was doing him a lot of favors and he was trying to boss me around, including asking for privacy in my room, where he shouldn't have been in the first place. The whole time he was here I was looking around him and at my valuables to make sure he didn't take anything. He was sketchy and the more I think about it, the more he contradicted himself. Asking for gas, then bus money; saying his friend lived next door, then that he lived there...

He opened my door, so I had to talk to him, but should I have let him use my phone? Should I have kicked him out then? Should I have given him money (at one point he claimed he would pay me back, him leaving was payment enough)? Where would have drawn the line? What would you do in this situation?

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You're lucky you're alive to post this.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What SS said. I'd have called the cops if somebody just opened my door and walked in. There's a reason I keep my door locked at all times.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

He didn't walk in on his own, just opened the door, but I do consider myself lucky. I will probably start locking the door, even when I'm in the apt during the day. I always lock it an night.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when you're paying the dime on the roof, the only thing you owe anyone who's making you feel uncomfortable is a single, "get the fuck out."

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

get a gun or a tire iron ... oh and get renter's insurance, too. you might need that (and it's real cheap)

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

JG: Chalk it up to a lesson learned... and thank your lucky stars you're still here.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Not sure if he had a weapon, don't want to think about it. I don't think I'll be getting a gun or tire iron, probably just going to thank my lucky stars. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, though it has it's crime, like any place in any city. I'm just glad I'm still here to post about it, and that all my stuff was in my apt when I got from working the desk tonight.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Good advice. Though, i might have used kinder words, since I'm not the most intimidating guy out there.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not trying to be rude here but everything you did, beginning with leaving your door unlocked, was extremely stupid.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

You either got very lucky or got cased, which means be careful!

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Be sure he did not copy down any of you credit card info. Did you have any open bills on your counter?

Draft saved Draft deleted