1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd question... any truck drivers here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, May 4, 2020.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I've made it to the top of my little fiefdom of TV news. Pay is really good but I see this horizon in the distance. Not quite where newspapers and local radio are right now but I see it.

Any truck drivers here or anyone with the similar over-the-road experience?

I'm thinking about where the need for work will be in 5-10 years. My kids will be out of the house in three years and, frankly, the thought of driving a rig across the country is quite alluring to me right now. I've found that, in life, I'm best as a solo act and I love driving, being on time and feeling like I'm doing some good.

After 25 years in TV news, I'm kinda over the bullshit of newsroom politics.

Also... I wonder if there is more value in this field for someone used to communicating with the outside world, managing expectations and coming off as a professional.

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. exmediahack

Nodding my head in approval like DeNiro is 40% of his movies.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You glorious bastard. I so wanted to do that, but alas, you were already hitting it out of the park!

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, no stairs to screw on in a sleeper, so ...

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

But there are lot lizards.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You have to be proficient at U-turns.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

All I know is that there's a huge demand for truckers right now, but there's also the issue of self-driving trucks looming down the road (no pun intended). Which could eventually make real driving truckers go the way of the newspaper journalist.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You’ll have to get a CDL, which can be a process. Once you get a CDL, you are subject to a wide number of new strict regulations, even if you’re driving a 4-wheeler.

10. exmediahack

I am in an area with a driving school that gets all of the certifications -- less than a 5-week process (10 hours of class work/driving work six days a week). It could be doable with my schedule.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Move to Kingdom City, Mo.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was flabbergasted to see that self-driving trucks have already been on the road, including the Florida Turnpike (I think 60 Minutes had a segment on it). Hard to envision those in bad weather.

My brother-in-law has been a trucker for 40 years, have never heard him say a bad word about it. And knowing his wife, I can see why the open road is so appealing.

Draft saved Draft deleted