1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd Philly magazine piece on Charlie Manuel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Your thoughts?

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/inside_the_mind_of_a_genius/

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

I liked that. Think it's a good article. Interesting stuff about Manuel. I know what it's like to be ridiculed for having a Southern accent. Good for Manuel. Sounds like a beast.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Charlie Manuel is one of the smartest and nicest baseball men you'll meet. He's suffered from every stereotype you can associate with him -- hick-sounding accent so he's dumb, old man so he's tired and not competitive, just wants his players to hit HRs so he doesn't know any strategy or how to run a pitching staff.

Idiots in Cleveland used to make fun of him for these things all the time. Charlie Manuel gets the last laugh.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You didn't like reading about the orgy?

Understand where you're coming from here, Smasher. There are some great anecdotes about him, but the piece comes across as fawning. It may be nine pages, but I'm not convinced we learn much about the guy other than he's friendly.

And the writer asking Berra for an autograph reveals he's a fanboy more than anything else.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I really like Mathew Teague. I think he's exceptional. He's crazy talented.

This piece, though, was a little meh. I agree with Elliotte in that I'm not sure I know much about Charlie Manuel by the end of the piece.

The scene with Tom Gordon on the mound struck me as having forced "importance." Manager takes a reliever out. Slaps him on the butt. Pitcher nods. Not sure there's a deeper meaning here.

Some nice writing though.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The more surprising thing, to me, was the fact that it opens with the writer taking batting practice.

For some reason, I just couldn't get past that. It didn't work for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted