1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd no comment by Brandon Webb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

In the AP story on Jon Hooker, the former UK baseball player killed about the plane in Lexington, former Wildcats teammate Brandon Webb "declined to comment" on Hooker.

Does that seem strange to anybody else that Webb would decline to comment on a former teammate who was just killed? I can understand if he didn't want to talk in-depth about it - maybe he didn't even know the guy all that well (not sure how long they overlapped). But he couldn't offer any public condolences regarding a former teammate? A no comment? Strange - anyone who has dealt with Webb, is he difficult? Quiet?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd give Webb the benefit of the doubt. He might be in shock over this and unable to come up with anything to say.

And how many times do you read obits of those who are killed suddenly (car crash, murder, etc) in which loved ones decline to comment? Happens all the time. And it's totally understandable.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. And if he happened to know the guy, he would probably want to track down family/friends first to get through it.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Also, maybe the reporter was the first person to tell Webb that the guy was on this flight.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To answer the first question, Webb is not especially quiet or difficult. I always found him very pleasant to be around and talk to.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Webb's a good guy. Very down to earth and friendly. I assume the no comment was because it was too emotional for him to talk about it right away.

7. a reporter should make that clear in the story

"no comment" kind of has gruff connotations

if a guy says, "oh man, I really can't talk about that right now," he shouldn't get a curt "Webb declined to comment" in print

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Write: I was always taught there were degrees of "no comment."

Declined was always seemed to be the most polite. You only said "refused" comment if someone was rude or threatening.

9. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Article today said he was devastated and wanted to comment before tonight's game.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What difference does it make if Webb didn't want to comment? He just lost one of his closest friends in a horrible way.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I don't really think it's any reason to get confrontational, dude. I was just wondering because it seemed like a strange thing to "decline comment" about.

Between this and the CNN/9-11 thread, I think some of you might be in the wrong damned business.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What part of my post is confrontational man? Sorry if it sounded like that, but it's been a bad day for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted