1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd AP writer titles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

So I was on the STL P-D site today, and they had a story written by an AP writer:

Feds proposes graphic cigarette warning labels
    By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM
    AP Tobacco Writer

I just found it strange that this guy's title is AP Tobacco Writer. Is there really enough news in the tobacco industry for the AP to have a writer dedicated to that? What other kinds of odd beats does the AP have writers dedicated to?

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

From health issues to court cases to business news to farming angles, I'd think there would be plenty of fodder to make it a full-time beat. Spend plenty of time in Virginia and North Carolina, I'd imagine. And it kind of sounds interesting to me.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Given the importance of the industry historically and all the changes it has gone through and continues to go through, I'd think there would be room for MORE than a single tobacco writer, and one doesn't really surprise me, I don't think.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, there are plenty of prostitution arrests daily in the U.S. Maybe there should be an AP Prostitution Writer.

Of course, said writer would have to devote a lot of his or her time to covering politics.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Is there an AP Strip Clubs Writer? Lots of shootings outside them, the prostitution industry. Playboy could be an industry mag.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I bet there's be a never-ending supply of applicants.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

You only cover us when we're naked!

8. Journo13

Journo13 Member

Here are some of the recommended names in the sports department:

AP Dancing Writer
    AP Cheerleading Writer
    AP Underwater Basket Weaving Writer

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Hey, those underwater basket weavers work very hard!

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What? No AP Junior Varsity Writer?

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

He's on furlough, so the AP Junior High Writer is filling in.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As a bonus, later in their career the Tobacco writer can segue nicely onto the AP cancer beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted