1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oct. 14, the day the music died --- at XM

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Oct 15, 2008.

1. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I've only had Sirius/XM in rental cars, as I noted earlier. But I can totally understand why people pay for it, just from that experience alone. My commute to work is 20 minutes, so for 40 minutes a day, as much as I like satellite radio, it's not quite worth it. But if my commute got longer, or especially if I went back to full-time reporting and was constantly on the go, I'd probably change my mind on that.

Yeah, occasionally there's a family trip with a lengthy drive. That's when the mixed CDs burned in data (MP3) format come in handy -- one disc with approx. 120 songs can get you through seven hours or more of driving.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Because I was told it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But for me? It wasn't. I don't do talk radio, I don't do sports on the radio, and I CERTAINLY don't want to listen to CNN on the radio.

So yeah. It doesn't work for me. That's my only point with everyone saying anyone who DOESN'T get it is an idiot. Some people just don't get out of it what others do. So don't paint with a broad brush.

3. Um, you are aware that you are not born with a cache of songs preprogrammed in your brain, correct?

4. imjustagirl

Um, yes. But I also don't spend 20 hours a day listening to stuff I can't sing along with. One new song a day, while on MTV or terrestrial radio, by an artist I already know? Fine. 20 hours of people I can't understand, which apparently makes them "artsy?" No thanks.

5. You are being ridiculously judgmental of people who seek out new music. I would hardly call the music I've learned on XM "artsy." In fact, I like it mostly because it tells me right there who I'm listening to and what song.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Most of the venom on this thread has to do with spnited, who came on with his usual condescending take on things.

7. imjustagirl

Oh, no, i know. And I've done my share of that on the XM threads too. But people generally come on these threads and are like "If you want to listen to more commercials than music, then be a looser. I'm awesome with my satellite radio!" and it just gets old. People do what they do.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think he's just curious about the rationale. I don't think he wants to rip your Sirius out of your car. As for me, I don't drive enough or listen to enough music to justify the cost.

9. OK, my real answer. I have a long commute to work. And it's right where FM stations begin to fade out and many of the AM big-city stations are unreliable because of the terrain.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And because I'm working at home today, pounding out like 8,000 words on college basketball, and the fact that I can throw it on XMU and basically rip off the knob is the only thing keeping me sane.

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i want to hear something new, something i might not have sought out. i want to hear an old steve earle tune or a new dylan tune that i didn't know existed.

i don't like being confined to the music on my ipod all the time. sometimes, it's cool to hear a dead song that i don't have on my ipod; sometimes, i like hearing a bob mould or husker du song that i haven't heard in 20-some years. or flip on the classical station when i need to calm my nerves in traffic; or the blues station or reggae or some funked-up song on the wild jazz station when the mood hits. i had no idea how consistently good robert cray is until i listened to the blues station. i like listening to bob edwards in the morning and bob costas' show on the weekends.

everything i like, i don't have on CD or on my ipod.

XM has introduced me to more artists i like that i would have never known existed. it's an easy choice for me. but like ijag said, people do what they do.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

With all due respect, IJAG, I see the flip side: Every time someone starts a thread on anything XM, the same posters come on with the "why are you idiots paying for radio?" attitude and the XM supporters come on to reply, and it turns into a pissing match.

I have it because, as far as music goes, my taste runs into the heavy metal realm, especially the stuff from the '80s, and I don't get enough of that on terrestrial radio. There have also been some bands I got interested in because I first heard them on XM. Also, I'm an Angel fan and its hard to get their game on terrestrial radio (and some TV games) where I live, so I know now I get at least the radio call whenever I need to.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, and I understand that, but when the same people seem to come to any thread with XM in the title and essentially tell us we're nuts for having it, well, it gets old.

Draft saved Draft deleted