1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oct. 14, the day the music died --- at XM

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Oct 15, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Same thing with newspaper house ads.

I'm reading your rag. I don't need you to tell me to read your rag. Advertise to people who are not reading your rag.

2. Why pay for anything?

Why should you care if other people want to pay for satellite radio? Why in the world would it be any concern of yours?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Try it for a month and see if you can go back.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Especially if you live in a market with a 24-hour traffic channel and you can suddenly get the information you need without having to poison your mind with 10-15 minutes of Sean Hannity.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am new to Sirius, and this is what my satellite radio can do that my old radio could not.

1. Give me Left of Center, 1st Wave and Alt. Nation who play songs I would never hear on my regional radio. Well unless the country bumpkins stop hogging 103.1 and allow WNRN to come in clearly.

2. Give me artist alerts. When Weezer or Jack Johnson is playing on any station I am alerted so I can switch to the song if I like.

3. It will record my music like a DVR, so if I pop in a cd or am talking on the phone, I can pause the radio and it will record just like a DVR. When I am done in however long, I just skip through the songs to something I want to hear. It has a cool feature that automatically finds the beginning of the next song.

4. Howard Stern with almost no commercials and no FCC.

5. If I liked sports radio (Chris Russo for example), I have tons of it available.

6. I can listen to ESPN News in real time.

7. Every NFL game and tons of college.

8. Tons of news.

This is worth $99 down and like $15 a month to me since I spend about 80 minutes in my car every day.

6. 93Devil

Spnited, you need a GPS after you buy your Sirius.

I know. The paper map is free.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

ouch.

i have been having some issues with my sirius radio... the actual unit itself. It's sucked because i actually have had to resort to my CDs, which are outdated. I admit that having Sirius has opened my musical horizons to places I had not anticipated. Heck, being able to listen to "As It Happens" is worth the price by itself.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What he said.

Somebody tell me again why anyone should pay for TV. I get over-the-air TV for free.
    Somebody tell me again why anyone should pay for news. I can get it over the Internet, for which I can find a free connection.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A.) I had XM for three months.
    B.) I hated ever freaking minute of it. I don't understand people who will spend hours listening to stuff they don't know. When I drive? I want to hear songs I know, I want to sing along, and I want variety. Listening to "the 80s" isn't variety...it's all 80s! And it's mostly shit I've never heard. I unplugged it most of the time.
    C.) I canceled it. Happiest day of that year. What a fucking waste of cash.

10. 93Devil

You know there was a button that allowed you to change stations. ;D

They have a top 40 channel.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Right. But I'm getting the top 40 on terrestrial radio. Why would I pay $13 a month to get songs I already get?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If all you wanted was top 40, I'm not sure why you got it to begin with.

If you seek variety and do want to hear things you hadn't heard before, it's the way to go. Plus baseball, BBC, POTUS, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted