1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oct. 14, the day the music died --- at XM

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Oct 15, 2008.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I usually play mix CDs, or follow Sam's suggestion and put a variety of CDs in the changer. It's usually an assortment of rock, country and hip-hop to suit whatever mood I might be in while driving to work and back. Nobody says you can't switch the CD in the middle, budcrew! Unless of course whoever's riding shotgun is picky about that sort of thing.

My mom got satellite radio free with her car, and she never thought she'd like it. She paid for a cheap renewal deal this summer. I'm still trying to get her to expand her horizons beyond the half-dozen country and '60s stations, but I'm rarely in the car with her so it's likely a losing battle.

By the way, there's plenty of terrestrial stations broadcasting online, as well as those that are online-only. Pandora.com too! I don't have satellite radio, so that's what I play when I'm near a computer -- and I've picked up some new music ideas that way.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

No commercials or talk on the music stations, with a much better variety than you get on the radio.

Major League Baseball.

I realize for the former you could just hook your ipod up to the car, but I still like the chance to hear music I wouldn't otherwise. That's how you discover new stuff you like (although already in the genre you like).

Mostly I listen to the MLB stuff.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

XM and Sirius are great, but terrestrial radio will always be around- as long as there's local content. The piped-in terrestrial stations with no local broadcasters are in trouble, however. And that's a good thing.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

What has XM fans up in arms is that Sirius is known for basically being terrestial radio, ie: tight playlists, tons of repetition and mostly hits.
    The 70s channel was awesome, you'd hear songs you never heard on regular radio, but after the merger, it changed, I'd hear Eagles twice in 2 hours for example.
    This was supposed to be a MERGER of equals, not a TAKEOVER, XM fans expected their music channels, to survive.
    And why pay for radio, Spnited?
    Well, do you pay for TV?
    I pay for XM for the same reason why most people get cable TV, more choices, better quality.
    If they stop airing the old Casey Kasem AT40s, I will not be happy.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Expecting ANY class, from a Mel Karmazin operation?

Ha. Ha. Ha.

6. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

And most CD players in newer vehicles are equipped to also play MP3-formatted (data) CDs -- I burn most of my CDs off my home computer as data, rather than in a music CD format, which gets me 120 songs or more on just one CD. And if you have a multidisc player, then you've got hundreds and hundreds of songs, with no repetition, no commercials, no extra wires hooked up to your MP3 player/Ipod, and no expense on satellite radio -- though I've got to admit when I get rental cars equipped with Sirius, the First Wave is absolutely locked in.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Because I drive 2 1/2 hours a day round trip and terrestrial radio -- with its homogenous, formulaic crap, eight-minute commercial blocks and lowest-common-denominator catering formats -- is an abomination.

I can listen to CNN or CNBC on the radio. I can listen to uncensored comedy. I can listen to reggae, jazz, classical, metal or the other ignored types of music I like. I can listen to the Red Sox games on the SoCal freeways -- or any other team I care to listen to. I can get updates on golf events on PGA Tour Radio.

XM is the best $20 (my wife has it in her car as well) I spend every month.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Question: Is the merger going to change what the Sirius and XM offer? I have Sirius -- was mostly curious how the merger will affect it.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

XM is worth having for MLB alone, but with the exception of the 60s, 70s, and 80s and a classic rock channel, every preset I have on my XM has programming I could not get from terrestrial radio or one of my CDs.

There's no way I'm going to hear anything like XM Chill rolling through my dial. Or the two jazz stations. Or outlaw country. Or classic soul. Or uncensored rap. You get the idea.

I'm not as big a talk radio fan, but having the BBC 24 hours a day is a great thing. XM's POTUS '08 channel is also very good.

I'm guessing 95 percent of the people who criticize someone for paying for radio haven't heard what those of us are paying for. It's well worth it.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It won't affect anything unless you choose to pay for additional programming.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's why I got one.

12. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I have Sirius....have had it for nearly five years. As much driving as I do, there's no way I could imagine what it would be like without it.

Free radio isn't going to play "Straight Outta Compton" (uncut) at 8 am. Free radio doesn't give me a choice to what kind of talk radio I'd like to listen to (hint: it sure as hell isn't Limbaugh, Hannity and a Hannity repeat in a continual loop). Plus, free radio doesn't let me listen to my favorite NBA and NFL team, neither of which are where I reside.

Plain and simple, I gladly pay for what I want. Free radio does nothing for me.

As for the merger, I would guess both channels will have victims, which is very unfortunate. That said, if the Sirius hardcore rap stays, then XM fans will love the All Out Show with Rude Jude and Lord Sear. That show -- along with Jason Ellis' -- is worth the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted