1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oct. 14, the day the music died --- at XM

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The stations I listen to are ... okay, if we concede the XM ID tags, 59:40 of the hour. Way better ratio than terrestrial, and I can get more than two hours of real jazz or decent AAA a day. Plus which, if I want to make a 100-mile drive, I don't have to deal with 60 miles of radio herpes and 40 miles of static-filled fail.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Me neither. iPod joy!

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

The reason there is a CD player in the car is so you can listen to what you want to listen to ... for FREE!

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Tell us another story, grandpa!

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not sure how I'm supposed to get introduced to the music I buy for my iPod (or CD for that generation) if I'm listening predominantly to the iPod. Sure, I could listen to my 80s pop and New Jack Swing and, God help me, Econoline Crush and Prime STH, but at some point it's going to get a little old.

90 percent of my iPod is stuff XM turned me onto. Rely on terrestial? Then my iPod would have little more than Linkin Park and Hold Suck My Ass Steady.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Opie and Anthony talked about that happening on their radio show.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

CD player? I figured you were still using one of these babies:

[​IMG]

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No ads.
    No crap you don't want to listen to ... so long as anyone riding shotgun has no access to awful music.
    Better yet, if you have a multi-CD tray, no problems for a long, long time.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Seriously, MM has a point: Satellite radio is a great way to discover new, non-crappy music.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Which is nice... until I'm listening to a CD of the same band for an hour. Then I'm like get me outta this music, kthxbye.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The great bands never get old. Some are even worth - gasp! - tracks longer than three or four minutes.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That really made me laugh.

"Back in my day, we listened to these things called compact discs. And we had to take them out of a player when they were done. AND WE LIKED IT!"

Draft saved Draft deleted