1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OCR to flood the zone on Angels opener

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Mar 29, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ugh.

I do want to meet these advertising representatives that are willing to work weekends. Never seen any of those.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's an Angels game. Get back to me when a paper floods the zone for a team readers actually cared about.

Good luck getting ad reps who even know what's in the paper unless it's an article pissing off one of their clients.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You don't win contests or get invited to symposiums about the digital age with a gamer and a sidebar.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Or parlay digital coverage into a new job as a Facetwit guru.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I see your point about it being overkill. But it's just a one game gimmick (hopefully). I wouldn't be surprised to see others imitate their efforts.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FWIW, it was customary in my day for the Globe and Herald to have at least 7-10 sportswriters and a squad from newssside to cover the Sox home opener. Every year.
    Then of course there was the epic Saturday afternoon when there were seven of us covering a Sox game and the final score was 1-0. On a balk. Try divvying up those sidebars.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

True, but you need coverage that will be unique. You need to find special stories on different topics and unique fan stories, not a dozen pieces on "I think the Angels will be the best team evar! Yay!" crap.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Boom's had some excellent ones on the News/Sports thread.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think that would be a fun challenge. Was it?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For a team that has seen an infielder mauled by a jungle cat and Dr. Joyce Brothers doing color commentary, this hardly seems like overkill.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Sunday's front page (of the whole paper, not of sports) features an above-the-fold picture of two fans jumping up and down like (rally) monkeys with the caption: "We are the biggest Angels fans that have been loyal for many years! We love the Angels because we love to watch stellar well-played baseball of which the Angels organization is the epitome!"

Inside: "You can be a part of the News Mob. Send photos of you or your family in Angels gear to (address redacted here). Please include your name, city and why you're an Angels fan."

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That sounds like it went through Google Translator.

The baseball team Angels are the greatest of team baseball in the innings! In the league of America which is proximate to the Great Ocean they are surely insurmountable!

Draft saved Draft deleted