1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OCR to flood the zone on Angels opener

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

"If you knew the guy running the sports department, it wouldn't surprise you in the least."

Who is running the sports dept.?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm looking forward to see what they do. I know if it is a hit, others will copy.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In a county of 3 million people, the total number of people who want to read all that shit will be ... zero.

I get that it's a gimmick. But part of being an editor is making smart choices so you produce something people can digest.

I do love that according to that memo they apparently have a reporter assigned to the plastic surgery beat.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the OC, that touches people's lives more than religion would.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As former Herald beat writer Jeff Horrigan once observed of the Angels' ballpark "Boob job capital of the American League."

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think you're wrong Frank. There's a "buzz" about the Angels. For a one day thing like this, I think a lot of people will be reading. I hope the reporters talk to, as they say in Gannett, real people.That would make it more interesting.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm impressed that they have more than 100 staffers available to pull this off.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Why? What will 90 percent of the John Does have to say that's remotely interesting?

"Um, yeah, I skipped work today to drink."

"Who's that big fella playing first? Never heard of him."

I'm with Frank on this one.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I don't think they do...

From the article (relevant part in bold):

So I suspect that much of the "reporting" will be "citizen journalism" type stuff where pre-selected fans live blog during the game or send in photos as the game is happening. And hey, at least the ad guys can take a break from not selling ads and catch a ball game.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

But those are the people we rely on to make our living. I like to hear what "real people" have to say.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I like hearing what they have to say, too, if it's an intelligent, reasoned take, and not for the hell of it.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I could not possibly care less what "real people" have to say about a baseball game, I don't care what the reporter who normally covers the Huntington Beach city council has to say about the game, and I do not care what every professional Angels beat writer in the L.A. market has to say (no offense to all of them). Life is short, and I will read one or two stories even if there is a perfect game or Pujols is arrested for exposing himself during the Star-Spangled Banner.

Draft saved Draft deleted