1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oceans 13

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Jun 8, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I didn't hate O12, it's just absurd from a plot standpoint.

The the thing I like is about all of the "Oceans," including the Sinatra original, is this: It seems as if they all had a good time making them. Works for me

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The SWAT team arrives just after the hooker bags are loaded into the van. Who got "$80 worth" of hooker ads in bags down into the vault area to begin with?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ya know, I think he has a point. Clooney and Damon didn't take that stuff down with them.

I think.

Where the hell's that DVD?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just saw 13 - glad I went to a matinee. Surprised its been as well reviewed as it was. The first half is very slow, scenes crash into each other and the payoff at the end fizzles instead of pops. If you've seen Hustle on AMC you know how these types of stories are supposed to go - and this one is just flat. Bad pacing, bad tempo and bad lighting.
    Al Pacino never goes off. Clooney never has a scene with Barkin (would have been funny if she turned him down because he was too old) and I was hoping the bike jump teased at through the movie would have played a part in the climax.
    The lone bright spot for me was seeing Super Dave Osborne playing Damon's dad.
    And are we to believe nobody would have noticed a tunnel being bored through downtown Vegas?

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Saw it tonight. Mostly harmless.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The tunneling under The Strip without anybody noticing was a bit far of a reach for me. Plus - Pacino never goes off - the finale is anti-climactic and its too talky in the first third. I was disappointed. Hustle on AMC has better plots.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hustle-are you talking about the British TV series?

It's terrific.

8. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

FWIW, Soderbergh admitted the plot hole involving with hooker ads. Apparently, they changed the script a couple of times shooting the heist scenes, and the best scenes ended up being from slightly different revisions. But everyone liked the way it went together so he stuck with it even though there is no conceivable way those hooker ads could have ended up in those bags. There are lots of plot holes in these movies, but no one is pushing it as art. These flicks are just for fun. O12 did suck, but I loved O11 and 13 was OK.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If the only logistical hitch in Ocean's 11 involves a duffel full of hooker ads, you all can suspend your disbelief better than me. Half the fun of all three movies (and yes, considerably less in 12) is how much fun they have laying out all the technobabble and faux-perfect plans.

Ocean's 11 is one of my all-time favorites, as fun a movie as I know. 12, not so much so, and 13's somewhere in between. I agree that Barkin can't carry the female lead in a film this big, even with a campy throwaway role. A movie with that many A-list guys can do better, no?

Casey Affleck was great in 13. And very happy to see Super Dave Osborne.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The whole hooker ads snaffu could've been cleared up with one scene change, where the Malloy brothers take two carts (one with Yen and the other with the hooker ads).

Draft saved Draft deleted