1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oceans 13

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Tomei's got an Academy Award for Cousin Vinny and was great in The Paper. She acts just fine.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Holy shit.... so well put.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What's this burgeoning consensus that O11 was some towering cinematic masterpiece?
    O11 and O12 were pretty much identical -- mildly amusing, no better no worse.

The Julia Roberts subplot in O12 was cliched and lame, but no more so than the other subplots. We ain't watching these movies for deeply-structured plots.

Who gives a shit about the producers saving money on their budget? It's their money, they've got plenty, let 'em spend it.

I don't care if Marisa Tomei can or can't out-act Ellen Barkin, Master Thespienne (I suspect she can). All I know is she is about 10 years younger than Ellen Barkin, looks about 20 years younger, and if you're selling a major star-driven Hollywood movie, and your featured female lead is Ellen Barkin, y'all's in a heap of trouble.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

O11 was fun and somewhat of a money grab. Made no sense a lot of the time, but you had a feeling that the actors were having a great time.

012 was a pure money grab. The inside jokes overwhelmed the movie. The plot made even less sense than the first. In fact, I still don't know what the hell happened.

As with the first two, I'll wait until 013 comes out on cable.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Blame Jack Palance for that Oscar.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

Applying the Roger Ebert test, 11 was a towering masterpiece while 12 was a towering failure. Ocean's 11 was precisely the movie it set out to be --- a tightly-scripted piece of entertainment which both the actors and the audience thoroughly enjoyed. Ocean's 12 was badly scripted and I challenge you to find a half-full movie theater with only people who actually enjoyed the movie without squirming repeatedly. Soderbergh tried too hard and fell miserably short; Ocean's 12 fails the Ebert test because it fell far short of its goals.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If O11 was so tightly scripted, explain how the hooker advertisments got down in the vault and back up into the van.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Barkin has had so much work done I think she looks more plastic and icky than 53.

I mean, really scary.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Separate bags.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Take a lot down, pack some up to send up the elevator, leave some behind. Ocean's 11 haul out the real money in the "SWAT" duffels.

11. Back to the thread. Ocean's 13 much better than Ocean's 12, but not as strong as Ocean's 11. Barkin was cast on purpose, which you'll understand upon seeing the film. It's mindless entertainment, yes. But it achieves its goal of entertaining ...

*** out of ****, in my humble opinion ...

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Shit, I enjoyed 13. Hell, I enjoyed 12, so what do I know? Wasn't looking for Citizen Kane, went in thinking it was going to be exactly what it was. I paid my $8 and enjoyed myself. Good enuf for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted