1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Occupying an apartment from scratch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Desperate times, desperate measures, man. I never used this tactic, but I worked with a guy who did. I don't think he purchased a roll of toilet paper for at least two years.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I can't really provide any better suggestions than above. But best of luck, man, whatever's going on.

3. Had to do exactly this three years ago.

1. Don't over-acquire at the start -- a table and two chairs to eat, a couch, a couple of lamps, a bed. You can add as you go

2. I didn't get a dresser drawer for the first year. Had my clothes on stand-alone wire shelves you get at any big box hardware store, or Wal-mart

3. Go to a Dollar store for salt and pepper shakers, and those other kitchen knick-knacks you will want -- spatula, whisker, can opener etc. They will break eventually, but then you replace each as you need and its less of a one-shot strain on the budget

4. Get some basic cleaning tools -- toilet scrubber, broom, dust-pan. You can get a vacuum later.

5. As someone suggested, don't hesitate to ask friends or family for any furniture or appliances they aren't using.

6. Best advice I got was prioritize spending on a decent bed. Nothing worse than laying your head down in a transition phase in a shitty bed. (And get at least two sets of sheets so you can always have a clean set.)

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The one I went to was one of the nicer ones I have found. And since I work nights, I was more often than not the only one there. Had a few undesirables at times, but it WAS really nice to get everything done in one shot, but it got pretty expensive at times.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Hoping things are going as well as possible for you, dixiehack. Meanwhile, let me say I've always wanted to meet Frank Ridgeway and shake his hand, but now I'm not so sure about the latter part.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You don't have to spend big money for a decent bed, either. Most every town seems to have at least one discount furniture store where you can get a new queen size set up for about $300. Just get the mattress, box spring and frame and position it to where you can use a wall as a headboard.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Much love to all who reached out here and by PM. I will update when time allows.

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

If you do have a little cash to work with, check in your area to see if they have any consignment stores. You can usually get a decent bargain on a variety of household items.

I would start by trying to find a couch because it is important to be comfortable in your new place and it can double as a bed until you get one.

Yard sales and thrift stores can get you some inexpensive dishes, utensils and other kitchen items (you can also stock up on silverware when you visit a fast food place. . . take home a couple extra forks, etc. each time).

The idea about asking a small circle of friends for help is a good one. They probably all know that things changed for you and each would be happy to help (and be discreet about it).

Best of luck.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Good place to ask these questions: Do you have to buy a top-brand mattress such as Serta, or can you get good value at a discount-mattress store? Also, can you buy just the mattress if your box springs aren't broken-down? Wondering if I can get by with a $200 mattress instead of spending about $800 for top-brand mattress/box springs combo.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

When I moved into an apartment "from scratch" at age 23, I bought a new discount mattress for about $150 and the frame/box springs for about $50 on Craigslist. That bed ended up lasting me about seven years.

Discount mattresses are fine, as long as they're new. (Kind of disgusting to get a used mattress, of course.) They're not the greatest quality, but it's a hell of a lot better than an air mattress for everyday sleeping. (And I've done that, too.)

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Even though free is good, do NOT go with a free mattress unless you know where it's been (like a friend's house).

Bed bugs are a real thing, and people are eager to give away tainted mattresses.

What you will spend to rid your life of bed bugs is much, much more than you will spend on buying a twin mattress new.

That aside, here's what I did with my cousin when I took her to college ... We went through her daily routine and took note of everything she used. Wake up (alarm clock), brush teeth (toothpaste, toothbrush), drink coffee (coffee, coffee maker, coffee cup, sugar packets, spoon to stir) ... etc. We did this at home, not at the store, so it wasn't overwhelming. Then we made a shopping list based on those routines. It was enough to get her started, then she was able to add things as she realized she needed them.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Dixiehack, sorry to hear of your situation.

I've had to start over a few times between going to college, switching jobs, moving cities and not having a whole lot to begin with so it was cheaper to just leave shit behind than rent a trailer, and or I was borrowing stuff from friends. One thing I will recommend, find ways to re-purpose stuff and or find multi-purposes for things. If you're in a small one BR apartment, chances are you're not going to have a ton of storage. So unless you're set on "an end table must be an end table," I'm currently using Rubbermaid totes as end tables. You can get them for about $12 a pop. Plus, when you move later, they are a hell of a lot better to use than boxes. Also, for a coffee table, I use an old footlocker. If you're in a studio, being able to hide stuff is important, otherwise it very easily just becomes one big mess. You don't need a dinette, although they are handy, but if you're prioritizing, couch and some kind of coffee table setup is far more important.

If you have pictures of family and friends, put them up on the wall, it helps in the lonely nights. Empty walls are that much more depressing. Seeing familiar faces helps. Will also help in the transition and actually make the place feel more like home as opposed to some place you are stuck in right now.

Also, don't forget the little things like soap, paper towels, salt, pepper, etc.

If you can help it, don't just sit in your apartment, even if you are down and don't feel like going out, or tired, etc. Force yourself to get out, go for walks, explore the neighbourhood, etc. It's cheap, it's good for you and you'll feel better for it.

Spend one night a week making a roast or chili or casserole or something. Parcel it out, and you have your lunches for the rest of the week. It simplifies life and this way you make sure you have a good, healthy, cheaper lunch. A $10-12 roast will go a long way, especially if you throw in some carrots or potatoes, etc.

Good luck man, I hope things work out.

Draft saved Draft deleted