1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Occupy Game Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Occupy Game Day" - the term Dan Patrick has coined to get his fan base to hold up his likeness or show references during Game Day.

Seems like ESPN is starting to get agitated:

http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/10/11/media-is-starting-to-cover-occupy-gameday/

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Considering some of the far more inappropriate signs on there, why ESPN gives two shits about this is beyond me.

3. Given recent events - I would just caution Dan Patrick against calling this a "movement".

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Love it. Love it to death. More talking heads should follow DP's example.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love it. A more subtle version of when Howard Stern listeners would call Larry King Show.

Be great if people started holding up Free Bruce Feldman signs and Mike Leach heads

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

ESPN could kill it by just embracing it fully - nothing kills a joke more than when Mom and Dad start telling it.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I think it is hysterical. ESPN is pissed that Patrick has achieved success outside of its brand.

Proves he's got a following beyond what he did in Bristol.

Now, ESPN is alerting security at Gameday locations to be on the lookout.

Patrick has already won if the mothership continues to give the "movement" credence.

Good for him. Love his show, and always loved him on SC.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When did ESPN become the Gestapo?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely love it. Love the show. Love the fans doing this. Saw the "Chris in Syracuse" sign last Saturday and laughed really hard.

Good for Patrick. The show has grown a ton the past 12-18 months, certainly helped by it being televised. But it's also funny and entertaining, something I really don't get the rare times I tune in to ESPN Radio shows.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I spewed beverage from my mouth as soon as I saw "Chris from Syracuse."

It's just a very clever way for Patrick to stick the knife in a little deeper, which really suits his persona.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Long about the time they figured they could hand out annual awards called ESPYs.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If they're confiscating signs, it's only going to make college kids try harder to sneak them in.

Draft saved Draft deleted