1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maui? Wowie.

Just when I think I've heard it all ...

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm seriously convinced Freedom's not going to survive the year.

Which makes me kind of sad. I worked in their Yuma shop starting three years ago, back before things got particularly bad, and they weren't a half-bad company to slave for as newspaper conglomerates went. I spent a good part of my youth in Phoenix and my family got the Tribune rather than the Republic because it was simply a better local news product. Now that I'm back, I'm living in a part of the Valley it no longer covers, and being a Republic subscriber is kind of bittersweet.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Might be doing you a favor. Lump sum results in a bigger tax hit short-term for sure, but if you find yourself out of work a year from now, it could help extend the time and amount of unemployment benefits. They take the highest paid quarter of a 12 month period starting before the last empty quarter (I know I probably lost you on that part, but stay with me). If they paid you severance past March, that could reduce the time and amount of your benefits if you need to reapply next year. Higher taxes might be the short-term hit but look at it as an investment in next year's parachute. These days, parachutes are pretty damn good investments.

Draft saved Draft deleted