1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

A friend at the OC Register said a meeting with the publisher was called for today. Not sure of the details, but it can't be good.

Anyone else know about this or have any info?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That paper is almost empty.

3. Heard rumors that Freedom had a disastrous February and there's talk of Chapter 11?

4. hereintheoc

hereintheoc New Member

Nothing like that. No filing Ch. 11. No bankruptcy (not an option). No layoffs (at least for now). Still making money (no much, though). Furloughs probably (in immediate future).

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From the fledgling playthrough pipeline:

OC Register publisher meeting today was scheduled about a week ago. Supposed to be "informal" state of the business discussion. No agenda. He is going floor to floor with the same discussion.
    A question sure to be asked is about the rumor that 18 or so from ad sales are being taken to Maui "to celebrate successes." The question will be, what successes?
    Earlier this week it was posted on the RNet that 401(k) matching funds will be suspended April 1. The memo on that was sent via e-mail Sunday at midnight.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told a bunch of ad execs from the chain just took an all-expenses trip to a Sandals resort in the Bahamas. Work time, not vacation time, and it pissed off a bunch of people who have seen costs cut in many ways.
    Anyone who knows more about this, feel free to post.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A follow up to my previous post, from a source in the know:

Furloughs likely, layoffs possible in second quarter.
    Publisher said if it was up to him, furloughs would have happened in the first quarter, but corporate HR rejected it because it was too much work for them to sort it all out. They wold have preferred layoffs.
    Publisher defended the Maui trip: "They need this motivation to sell ads."
    No threat of Chapter 11. Some restructuring of the covenants of the loans, but goals must be met under the new covenants.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I thought the motivation would be, you know, THEIR FUCKING PAYCHECK!!!

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Oh screw that. They need motivation? How about a trip to the unemployment line? That motivation enough?

Edited for poor language. My bad.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The ways the upper class will always find to justify their lifestyles as necessary are sickening as always. Until I get there. Then it will be because I earned it.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm sick. Really, truly sick.

This will never end.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That pisses me the fuck off.

Are there ANY decent human beings left in newspaper upper management? Christ, they're clueless.

Draft saved Draft deleted