1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register up for sale?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mitch cumstein, Sep 24, 2008.

1. That's the rumor I've been hearing. Anyone else got anything? ???

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Heard the same rumor about Freedom from the other side of the country earlier this week. My source, however, was lacking details, so I just kind of wrote it off.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just to clarify, you heard Freedom was up for sale or that the OC Register is up for sale.

Means a lot of different things for a lot of us on this site.

4. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I asked the person whether certain papers might be affected or the whole chain, and the person didn't know. The person said it sounded as if more Hoiles family members wanted out, a replay of what happened around 2003 or so.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

OK. Thanks for information.

6. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

I'm sure Singleton wants that property in the worst way - and San Diego Union Trib too - but hard to figure a guy who's a billion in debt getting the credit he'd surely need in this climate.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he'd buy it if he could.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

According to E&P:
    The Orange County Business Journal reported that George Agyros and Larry Higby are talking to Freedom Communications to buy the Register

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That story is more than 2 weeks old. LAObserved picked it up then and made the observation that there have been lots of times when rich guys think buying a newspaper might be cool. But when they get a look at the books, it doesn't seem so cool anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted