1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register hiring spree

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Apr 25, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but do you guys know about what is going on at the OC Register? From what I've heard, it has expanded its staff from under 200 to almost 350 since August with a lot of those being sports hires.

How is this happening when everything else is going down in flames?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure of the numbers or the reason but I think the owners have decided on an approach of trying to make money by making a better product. Novel concept, to be sure.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Who have they hired in sports? First I'm hearing on this.

4. SnarkShark

http://www.niemanlab.org/2012/10/the-orange-county-register-is-hiring-dozens-of-reporters-focusing-on-print-first-expansion/

5. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Loveeeeee this news.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think OCR's doing an outstanding job with this concept. It seems like the advertising dollars are following. I subscribe to the OCR's e-edition ($5.25 per month isn't bad at all) and the papers have a lot of content.

Like everyone else, I'm sure the question is can they keep this up, but the beginning results look promising.

7. You're not getting one of those jobs.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

MileHigh, for one.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

10. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Obviously not at this point in my career. I was simply remarking about how it is good for our industry.

11. SnarkShark

Here's the numbers I've heard...

Subscriptions have gone up 3 percent even though the cost has gone up from $50 to $350 a year (Angels and Ducks ticket giveaways have helped, I think). They've also bought or created 23 weeklies that are only available to subscribers. There is also a paywall on the web site.

12. slartibartfast

slartibartfast New Member

A very stringent paywall at that. It's an all-or-nothing deal: Either you are part of the (paying) Register family, or you're not. You either pay $1 a day to the Register (for print and digital; there is no "digital only" option), or you get nothing. Only those in the family get any of the goodies. Ken Doctor over at Newsonomics <a href="http://newsonomics.com/the-newsonomics-of-the-orange-county-registers-contrarian-paywall/">has done a good job breaking down the numbers</a>.

Will it work? Lord, I hope so. But the strategy is not going to create some kind of anti-digital force-field around Orange County. The people there like their Amazon and their Facebook and their iPads and their Flipboard-free-online news just as much as anyone else does. Kushner is running a live, and very expensive, experiment testing the "news wants to be free" theory.

Draft saved Draft deleted