1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register going tab??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Sep 10, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Per Editor and Publisher, one of the things on the table at the OC Register is going tabloid, presumably to save some newsprint.

Good idea? The OCR publisher quoted in the story believes tab may be the wave of the future, and I can't say he's wrong. I like reading the Sun-Times in Chicago, the Daily News in Philly, the RMN in Denver, etc.

Thoughts?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Contrary to popular belief, it is harder to hold a tabloid because the number of pages confined to one space requires you to pinch harder with your thumbs and pointer fingers, thus causing mild discomfort.

Those are my thoughts.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would be an interesting thought, tho

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seems as though it'd be a disaster for the deskers. Or is switching to a tab not that hard?

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That's what's wrong with the industry. It's too physically strenuous to read a newspaper. And we thought it had something to do with management.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

It could work. The problem I see is that OC is too laid back for the tabloid crowd. I think once the newness of the publication wore off, the Register would be back in its same shape circulation wise. Maybe even worse.

7. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

This is just another flavor of the month idea they will try. I don't fault them for the ideas per se, but there just doesn't seem to be any follow up to them. It's almost like the idea is a process and when it has run its course they move on to a new idea. OC Post, Venture, Squeeze, etc. all ideas that may have succeeded if there was more execution and perseverance. The reality is this is a paper with declining ad revenues and no idea how to recoup the money. Sound familiar?

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Circulation dipped about 30K the last reporting period, and size of the paper aside, the trend doesn't look good for a general-circulation product in an expensive area with a drooping real estate market and an increasingly challenging mix of incomes and cultures.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's also harder to navigate, to find the sections you want. National advertisers aren't especially happy with either having their full-page ads shot down (leaving a one-column hole down the side) or having the ad run full size, sideways, over two pages. Besides, they think tabs are scuzzy. The Los Angeles Herald Examiner and San Diego Tribune each considered going tab in the late 1980s, early 1990s. It's not a tabloid market, no one takes mass transit. There is no advantage to this besides trimming newsprint costs a bit.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

The National didn't do well out there either and it was a tab.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I like the RMN tab. Always have.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Register had put out a tabloid which was a smaller version of the OC Register.

I will never forget reading the Register when I first moved to California in 1992. What I remember was that there were three crossword puzzles in the paper. I thought, boy, there must be some people with money and time on their hands here.

Draft saved Draft deleted