1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register getting hit by Freedom's axe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by devils_claw, Oct 9, 2008.

1. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

Looks like 30 newsroom employees are losing their jobs....

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/breaking-news/register-to-lay-off-30-newsroo/

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

"The paper is hoping to avoid direct layoffs by getting volunteers."

Charming. Will those 'volunteers' be selflessly giving up their unemployment benefits as well?

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

The OC plans to offer volunteers a severance package based on how many years they put in.

Woopie!

4. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

It will be interesting to see if any sports people take a bullet. The sports editor, who was laid off in the last round a few months ago, said he had nothing more to give up. So if they wanted to lay off someone in the department they would have to start not covering things. That's exactly what they did, stopped covering the dodgers, kings and clippers. The copy desk is bare bones, the writing staff is wafer thin and they have no sports editor. It saddens me since I used to work there and a lot of my friends and former co workers are being shown the door.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I can't see them cutting many -- if any -- from sports.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hear that the Register is using whatever terminology it takes to make sure that employees who leave via buyouts/take severance/whatever are eligible for unemployment. Also, it's common in unemployment regulations that, if a company sheds jobs -- not just people in them, but the jobs themselves -- that those folks are in fact eliglble for unemployment, regardless of the terminology.

One hell of a marketing tool, if this business ever builds itself back in any small way: Come work for us -- when we lay you off or buy you out, we'll make sure you get unemployment benefits!

That's about the best newspapers have to offer current and future journalists. That, and ulcers. And a long-term prescription of anti-depressants.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Work 10 years, get five months free!* ...

*Only with buyout

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

L.A. Observed says 110 will be cut in Santa Ana by Friday.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/10/register_to_cut_110_peopl.php

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Any truth to the rumor that Freedom wants to sell the OC Register to the Tribune Co?

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Note that little tidbit about the Daily News, too.

Journalists: Beware of Southern California. Apparently, and unfortunately, it is not the place to be right now.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I don't think either can afford to buy anything more than a couple of cold cuts right now. Given that Landmark couldn't sell LCNI and that they couldn't find a buyer for the Daytona Beach paper, the rest of the industry is probably in the same leaky boat.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I know that one of my good friends at the OCR is safe and I hope it stays that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted