1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register eliminating business section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Did the OC post have a sports section? It's being cut back to three days from six and merging with another tabloid. Anyone know if any sports writers will be cut?
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've heard of two other major metros whose business sections are on life support. Seems like in this economy we'd need more good business reporting, but oh well.
  4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Jeezus, talk about short-sighted. I can see cutting back on stock listings, because it gobbles up a lot of newsprint and people can keep track of their stocks on-line. But you ought to keep a good-sized newshole for business. The people who read that are older and have a lot of money...advertisers want that market. All you're doing is creating an audience for the local business publication.
  5. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Member

I thought the buzzwords of the moment were "It's the economy, stupid."

Nice timing, OC.
  6. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

The less reporting there is on business, the easier it will be for corrupt corporations to get away with murder.

Also, if business reporting doesn't sell ads, why are there so many specialized daily or weekly business tabs in largers cities?
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most newspaper business sections suck, by the way.

To much easy, daily reporting (new business opens!, stocks of local companies are down!, earnings report of big local company up!, local business is laying off 20, local tourism board predicts tourist will come this summer) and not enough investigative stuff or stories interesting to a general audience.

The NY Times does a lot of great business stories, though.
  8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They are not eliminating business coverage, they are folding the business section into another section. They certainly aren't the first to do that.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Actually might help the business reporting if they aren't out ginning up BS daily stories for the front.
  10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Absolutely, Ace. That's one of the main reasons I continue to get the NY Times here on the West Coast.

The fact most biz sections outside of the large metros suck is for that exact reason; not enough personal finance stuff, too much "Fred's Crab Shack and Mower Repair Opens!" stories.

I don't have a problem on local-stock stories. There's an interest in those, especially in areas where there's one dominant industry (i.e. gaming in Nevada, Disney in Orlando/OC, etc).

About 10 years ago, the editor of my paper calls me into his office. Sensing I was burning out (which to a certain extent, I was) and knowing my interest in business, he offered me the just-vacant business editor's job.

I turned it down. For starters, I would have been on an island: responsible for nearly all the content, save for the GA reporter I'd have three days a week. Secondly, I would have to run a steady diet of those opening stories as centerpieces, which turned my stomach.

In otherwords, I was being set up to fail in doing what I wanted to do with the section. Since that day, they've had three biz editors, so apparently, the gut instinct was right again.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I just think that business writers/editors are too reliant on the handouts -- earnings of big local company is this day, gas prices are up/down, press release on new fast food restaurant.

I don't want a feature on Jimmy's Chicken Shack when it opens. I want to know what is going up on the corner where there are bulldozers.
  12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Too easy.
Draft saved Draft deleted