1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register Departures

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Was going to put in on the OC Register thread, but felt these people deserved their own. Good luck to all of them.

Three departures from sports:
    From Print is Cynthia Stone, who took a voluntary buyout. She did layout and rim. She is from Milwaukee and has worked at a lot of places including Nashville, Virginia and Indianapolis. Been at OCR for about 10 years.
    From Content is Robert Kuwada, veteran beat writer who had covered Dodgers, Angels and UCLA. Worked previously at Long Beach, Tacoma and San Jose. Been at OCR for about 10 years.
    From Content is Artie Casas, who worked for one of the community papers and helped out with high school coverage.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Good luck and best wishes to all.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Damn shame about Kuwada. Seems as though he has covered the Pac-10 forever.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is it me, and I know the terms are correct but, "Content" and "print" completely corporate and totally dehumanizing?

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've never particularly liked the word "content" for what we all do ... but it's accurately descriptive, and I think we're stuck with it.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

When my "staff writer" badge was replaced by my "content" badge at the Freedom shop in Yuma, a part of my soul died a little bit. I know it's semantics, but I had a visceral, gut-level hated for the change and all the other reporters and copy editors felt precisely the same way. And I don't feel it's a particularly accurate description of what a reporter does on a daily basis.

It's probably getting up on a soap box about nothing, given all the problems within the company and within the industry, but I felt devalued. Do I shelve boxes at a super market? That's "content management" too. One of our feature writers had a moment of genius when, as she was being forced to do a story on septic tank maintenance for the gardening mag, she compared management of that "content" to our new title.

In any case, my heart goes out to the folks at the OC Register. That was Freedom's jewel, not to mention a damn fine paper. I hope it's able to sustain some of its quality throughout this mess. And, frankly, I hope it gets bought right quick by a company that'll do a better job managing it (not that that's likely :p).

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yes... As is "voluntary buyout"

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've worked at a Freedom paper for 2+ years and have never heard the phrase "content" used in the sense it is on this thread.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Me neither.

Draft saved Draft deleted