1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register - again?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hearing unconfirmed reports of more cuts here. Anyone? Post or PM. I hope it is not true.

2. hereintheoc

hereintheoc New Member

Five newsroom people cut, one in sports -- Art Thompson III.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

AT3 has been there at least 25 years.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jeeze, yeah, at least that long.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Isn't this a Freedom shop? i thoguht they were holding off on layoffs for a while.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I know for a fact of 22 of those years, and that's just in the time since I started out there in 1987. And he was already somewhat of an institution, is my recollection, when I started.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm pretty sure layoffs are happening at some papers and not at others. The only thing that is for sure chain-wide is furloughs.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From my inbox:

A few weeks ago -- and it was posted here -- the editor said in the second quarter furloughs were likely and layoffs were possible, and if it was up to him, there would have been furloughs in the first quarter. That meant both were undoubtedly going to happen.
    The furlough scheme was implemented in April.
    Staffers knew layoffs were coming and were surprised only in that they didn't occur last week.
    Unknown how many layoffs there were paper-wide.
    There were six Editorial positions lost (5 layoffs, one open position eliminated), all from Content, none from Print. (That is how they differentiate Editorial departments now. Print means you produce the paper, Content means you work for the Web. All the writers work for the Web.)
    Art Thompson III was the only one from sports. There were a couple of community writers, a community photog and a Web editor.

9. spud

spud Member

As I understand it, Freedom's smaller properties are profitable enough that immediate layoffs aren't necessary at this time. We'll see how long that lasts.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Third quarter?

11. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Sad to say but it's going to get worse at the Reg. I have heard from sources that content is going to get hit again. Don't know when, but higher ups apparently honestly believe there are too many people in content and that more cuts should occur. It sounds like they are angling to either make this the largest community paper in the country or make AP the most recognized byline. It is truly sad to see this unfold. I remember before I left in 2005 when I couldn't go to a professional event the SE told me "You can't give me anything that AP can't give me." I told him, "Why don't you just keep two columnists, two copy editors, two prep guys, the guy that answers the phone and fire everyone else." It was a flip comment, but shit, apparently the bean counters had a hidden microphone planted because I am looking like Nostradamus right now. Or Carnac the Magnificent. I prefer comparing myself to Jeanne Dixon. The most anticipated issue of the Enquirer. She rocked!
    But I digress. BTW the SE got laid off. Damn karma's a bitch.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Damn. Hell of a story, Rudy P.

The karma ending was rather telling as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted