1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

obviously i'll have something to say about this...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

good point, W-B

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Who gives a shit how many people knew of either one? That's really not the point, is it?

3. boots

boots New Member

Jason, here is the problem in a nutshell. 1, the minority representation in the mainstream media is awful.
    2, Many of those in the main stream were as quiet as a rat pissing on cotton in the Rutgers-Imus fiasco.,
    3, When idiots, and I mean idiots, such as Stephen A. Smith are accepted as being the backbone of African American journalists, something has to be done.
    4, Jason, while your opinions may not go with the norm, they are original. There's is not much grandstanding.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

4pm.

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

That was one quote from the entire forum. That certainly wasn't the point.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

...And New York Times columnist William Rhoden suggested the possibility of the NBA being almost African-American free by 2025....

LOLOLOL

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Yeah, that was pretty effin stupid.

8. boots

boots New Member

Not that effin stupid when one considers that the NBA is actively looking for foreign talent.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i can only assume he was talking about the influx in europeans, which seems to have little to do with the topic of wojo's column.

wojo's piece was terrific if seen as a commentary on the future of the industry. will graduates of this program be willing to work for $21K a year in podunk-ville and work their way up the food chain or will they go all columbia and only accept positions at papers 100,000 circulation or higher?

edit: boots made my point for me

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They're looking for the best players in the world so they can be considered the best league in the world and improve their product. How this equates with African-American players being marginalized out of the league, I have no idea.

EDIT: Here's a list of the top 10 prospects for this years draft, according to ESPN.com. One foreign player, nine African-Americans. Yep, they're going to get squeezed out of the league.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2007&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnbadraft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2frank%3fdraftyear%3d2007

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

All foreign born players are white, don't you get it? See, uh, Tony Parker.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, bull.
    The man wrote a column with a point of view. He was correct on most of what he said. That bothers some of you? Man, I cannot believe the jealousy on this board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.