1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obtaining team rosters from private school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Severian, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'm doing some research on someone, and I'm trying to obtain records of this person participating in a sports club in the mid-2000s at a private research school. The team has competed in public tournaments, but I'm not sure how much luck I will have reaching out to the school's athletic department. I doubt a FOIL will do the trick, compared to a public school. Any tips or suggestions?

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

A lot of schools send their yearbooks to local libraries.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Do you know anyone at the school who might have an old program or yearbook laying around? A teacher, coach or classmate of the person?
    Did the person play a major sport like football where their name might have popped up in a game story? Or even on a roster that might have been in a preview section?
    In that same vein, are there any old sports writers in the area that might remember them or have some records?

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Thanks. Though, I fear the team is too small to have a yearbook worth sending to
    the library.

I do not. This person was on a martial arts team in the mid-2000s, and the team
    was small, so I'm not sure if a yearbook does exist.

The coach, coincidentally, is still on staff. I could reach out to him to see if
    he has the roster list from that era. Do you think there might be an issue with
    student privacy? For sports, I don't think it would it be a problem. The other
    tricky thing is I'm doing this independently, not on behalf of a school or media outlet.

No. This person did martial arts, so I would assume it's not as followed closely
    as, say, baseball or football.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Unless it's Scientology High or some other cult, or the person is notorious or some sort of persona non grata, I can't imagine why it would be an issue. You're asking if they remember the person and were a member of the team. Privacy probably applies to things like grades and attendance records, not asking someone if they remember a guy who used to go to that school.
    Just be sure to present yourself accurately. If the coach knows it's for some publication or project, rather than some jamoke calling out of the blue, they might be more inclined to cooperate.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

It's simple -- just freakin' ask them ...

Driftwood, sgreenwell and Dog8Cats like this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, to kind of piggyback off this - Unless you're doing an investigative piece of some sort that requires secrecy, this all seems like information that a coach or school official would be OK to give you, or to verify. Even if it was a small club, the advisor / coach could likely verify that the person was on it. I was a high school newspaper advisor for about five years a decade ago - If someone asked me if John Smith was in the club, I could likely answer yes or no or not sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted