1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Observations from ten years ago...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

MST2K was a damn good show ... for a bunch of Minnesotans. :D

And I have to disagree with the esteemed Rosie: Joel > Mike.

But I haven't seen the show in so long I'd gladly watch some Mike episodes. That show had more influence on my life and on my writing then I'll ever know.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can't believe it's been 4 years, myself. Seems like only yesterday.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like the greatest movie ever made. This is pre MST, but in H.S., a friend had a VCR recorder before they were household items. I have no idea why now, but we used to tape Japanese Godzilla and monster movies and watch them over and over again. We would just sit there laughing at things and rewind them over and over again. There'd be scenes where you could see the hand in the background, pushing the lizard doll from behind to make it roll down the little model mountain they built to try to make everything look to scale when they filmed, or you could see the strings attached to the toy helicopter they had circling the lizard doll. I have no idea why we found those subtitled movies so funny. Other note: I swear, the same actor ALWAYS played the general. This guy had to have been in 100 movies, and he was always assigned the role of the General who got his ass kicked around by a giant creature of some sort. But man, a Japanese Planet of the Apes? I'd sacrifice a sacred male body part to be able to watch that once and then I'd just die a happy, laughing man.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Never gets old.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Season 3:
    http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Time_of_the_Apes

6. I always liked the Pants March.

7. BBJones

BBJones Guest

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=betamax&category0=

The same place you can find anything. And when you're done, you can probably sell it for a profit.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

For you fellow MSTies out there, an early Christmas present...

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Actually, Sony invented Betamax and offered it exclusively before finally giving in and making VHS machines.

Beta is technologically better than VHS, and has the other advantages you mentioned, but Sony never licensed the technology, like JVC (developer of VHS) did, which is what doomed it.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Remember going into a video store and one side was all Beta and the other all VHS?

We bought our first video recorder in about 1983. Paid ( if my memory serves) about $1,200 for a Sony Betamax that weighed about 20 lbs and was the size of a small microwave oven.

Bought it because it was Sony (no brainer) and Beta was considered superior technology. Never realised that Sony was gonna screw the pooch on the licensing.

The "remote" had a wire running into the front of the VCR.

I still have Game Six of '86 WS in its entirety on a Beta tape.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have game 6 on VHS, JR. Maybe we could make this work somehow.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Problem is, we don't have a VHS recorder anymore. HC & I turfed it for a DVD recorder.

Draft saved Draft deleted