1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Observations from ten years ago...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm not feeling the best today, so I'm working at home today and dubbing an MST3K VHS I finally got back from my brother. I had borrowed it to him years ago, probably right after I taped it off Sci-Fi.

Some observations, which mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things...

* A Dell computer was advertised for over $2600 with a rockin' 266MB chip, a screamin' 32MB of RAM and Win95. Yup, computer prices have fallen drastically.

* What ever happened to the SciFi channel's Dominion?

* Pepto Bismal commercials were just as obnoxious then as they are now.

* Every other commercial on the SciFi channel was for the Psychic Friends network, or whatever it was called. Ah, Psychic Talk USA, another one just came on. I'm tempted to dial the 800 number just to see who answers these days.

* We've been subjected to high-tech toothbrushes for over ten years now. Who'da thunk it?

* What ever happened to MCI? Did their five cent Sundays do them in?

* I will be so glad to edit out the commercials after the dubbing is finished!

Oh yeah. I think Mike does just as good a job as Joel.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm pretty sure dubbing is 10 years ago too. :D

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Smart ass. :p

That's what the player calls it. Dubbing from VHS to DVD. There's a little digital thingy flashing from the VHS tape icon to the DVD disc icon.

:p ;D :p

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Do a google search for "WorldCom" and you'll find out pretty quick ...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah well us coastal hip cats call it burning. ;)

I hear dubbing, I think of taping my buddy's tapes in high school.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Re: Computers -- it's like they say about technological advances (and maybe it's an urban legend), but there's more computer power in the average wristwatch today then there was on Apollo 11.

But you left out the key piece of info: Which MST3k episode?

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The Deadly Mantis.

Bobo manages to blow up a planet with a 'thermonuclear device.'

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Now showing...

Devil Doll.

The Mads have instigated a "Pants Party" in Ancient Rome in the first host segment.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

A movie that features, according to an episode guide, a score by Henry Mancini.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There was an episode of MST3K in which, early on, one of the movie chaarcters found a dried-up ancient mummy in a cave.

Crow: "Oh my God! It's Otis Nixon!"

Still my favorite.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Macintosh Performa LC550

I think it had 5MB of RAM and we paid about $2500.00 for it in '94.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Somewhere around 94 or 95, I built a computer and put a 2GB hard drive in it. I remember telling Mr. Rosie at the time, "How am I ever going to use two gigs?"

One of my favorite lines was from the "Giant Spider Invasion." The scene was a carnival in a small Wisconsin town and they were showing the swings.

One of the bots says, "Hey, speed this thing up and fling me into Minnesota where I can start a real life." My baby brother was living with us. He had just moved from Wisconsin.

Draft saved Draft deleted