1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Observations from Chicago and St. Louis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jun 18, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Pardon the stupid question here, but we ate a place called Fitz's. They brew their own root beer or something like that. It was pretty good. Or are you talking about another place?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dammit, buckdub! I'm Abe Bloody Frohman, Sausage King of Chicago!

And I don't believe in isms!

And for our SportsJournalists.com Cameron ... I'LL GO! I'LL GO! I'LL GO! I'LL GO!

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm suggesting you leave before I have to get snooty.

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

5. noodles

noodles Member

Snotty

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The latter being, I believe, the last Grateful Dead show ever.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fritz's Frozen Custard in Florissant.

Mmm mmm good.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes, it was. Quick story about that before I get to writing a big story: Buddy and I spend hours along Shakedown Street doing the Shakedown Street thing (I had a few helpings of "rasta pasta") and stumble toward the entrance gate. They look at our tickets, but the seats don't exist. Well then, that sucks. We didn't fret, though, and the gatekeeper (or whatever his title is) got us seats on the infield, front and center, about 20 rows from stage. THAT was awesome alone. But then they started playing most of the Dead songs I like most, and then busted into my favorite, Minglewood Blues.

A solid show, and who knew it would've been their last? A month later, Jerry was, well, dead, and I was on my way back to the real world, in this case, to Bennington, land where the 4 winds blow.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Gotcha. Frozen custard is one of the world's best inventions. Around here, I fancy Freddy's and Sheridan's. Chocolate with Butterfinger, of course. Damn, wish I had known about Fritz's.

10. Sly

Sly Active Member

That was the last Dead show ever. They left the stage up and Pearl Jam played an incredible show there a few days later. Eddie made reference to smoking some fat joints the dead left behind. Jerry Garcia died about a month later.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

Also, I can guarantee from Creole's wide-eyed posts that he's from a place where people think sleeves are for dressing up. His comments about the Sox make him come off like a real rube.

Draft saved Draft deleted