1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Observations from Chicago and St. Louis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Most of the "regular-looking people" posing as Cubs fans on the L are NOT from Chicago. They're tourists, like you. Also, show me a big-city transit system where people always rush to give away their seats. Someone who's hoofing home after a hard day is not giving up his or her seat on rush hour, nor would I expect that person to do so. Especially if they figure out I'm a tourist.

And don't worry, the fat people with tattoos won't hurt you or your kids. Then again, as a South Sider, I won't be offended, mainly because if people stay away from Sox Park, my kids don't have to wait so long in line at the Fundamentals deck. So come to think of it -- the fat people with tattoos will eat your children! Stay away!

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A trip to StL without a mention of Ted Drewe's!?! My friends there would be horrified.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I will one day. Sorry to disappoint you.

Hey, I can't help that Cubs fans were wearing Cubs stuff and White Sox fans wear White Sox stuff. I simply told myself that I wasn't surprised that those particular fans were wearing that team's stuff.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I don't know ... there were an awful lot of Cubs fans. Surely SOME were from Chicago.

As for the seats on the L ... I wasn't really surprised, but what did surprise me was if every seat was taken but a couple of people were standing, there were usually four or five people willing to give up a seat to someone who needed it.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Ted Drews is one of the best places in St. Louis.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Drewe's: Horrifically overrated.

Fritz's: Way better.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

This is the leader in the clubhouse for dumbest post of the year.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Oh come on..just cause you're a skinny guy with tattoos... ;)

9. pallister

pallister Guest

And not a single one on my neck!

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Been to Chicago a few times and loved it. Had a 3-hour layover taking Greyhound cross country, so I took a long walk about the town, which was buzzing and bustling with people full of life during the lunchtime hour. Ate a few dogs, drank a few beers, went to the Chicago Institute of Art to get lost in the beauty of a Picasso/Degas exhibit. I wish I had another day to stay there but the bus was calling my name. I hope to visit again.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The other 2 times were Dead shows at Soldier Field, both July 4 (1994, 1995), and each time was unbelievable. Un-be-lieve-a-ble.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's about time I win something around here. Damn, I don't think I've ever been nominated!

Draft saved Draft deleted