1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Since no one answered. the rams drafted Roman Gabriel, Terry Baker and Bill Munson in a row in the early 1960. Oddly, all made the team so it wasn’t like they were losing these guys to the afl?

maumann likes this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

Two-parter: In 1977, Ted Turner famously managed for one game. Who did he replace? Second part, who replaced Turner for one game before the original manager came back?

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I know Dave Bristol is the answer to the first part.....

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And they all played in 1964, after Zeke Bratkowski went to Green Bay as the backup to Starr. Did not know that Gabriel didn't really hit his stride until George Allen made him the No. 1. The Rams then sent Munson to Detroit for Pat Studstill and Milt Plum, where he and Landry continued the mediocrity.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. cyclingwriter2

Bristol was the main manager. Other guy is really obscure. Like Turner, he only had one game, which the Braves won and gave a perfect career record.

6. cyclingwriter2

I’ve always felt there was someone in management going, “hey, we won a lot games splitting between waterfield and Van Brocklin back in the day, let’s do it again.” Though, it appears that Baker was drafted as more of an “athlete” than a qb.

7. cyclingwriter2

In the video for Glory Days, who does Bruce Springsteen allege “got him” in the bottom of the ninth when pitching to his son at the end?

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Graig Nettles.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Which NFL team won 14 consecutive coin tosses to establish an NFL record?
    Hint: This was Mariucci's last coaching gig.
    The odds of winning 14 consecutive coin tosses is 1:16,384, by the by.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lions.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

Boom. For years, I swore he said Jack Clark, but the power of YouTube says nettles. I guess the boss was giving props to a former yankee favorite of his?

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

I think baron got it, but holy crap that is one hell of a stat pull.

Draft saved Draft deleted