1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yup, checked his career stats after venturing the guess. Crazy to learn that Juice had 75 career touchdowns and 62 fumbles. In fact, in his 11 year career, he had as many fumbles -- or more -- than touchdowns in eight seasons. He had only 3 seasons of more TDs than fumbles.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimpO.00.htm

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I heard this yesterday, and already have forgotten the third guy. I thought it would be Tommy Nobis. But he's not even in the HOF.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I stole it from the Dan Patrick Show. They were talking about Joe Thomas likely making it on the first ballot sans playoffs.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Steve Largent?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7 games

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Ollie Matson? It’s a wild stab.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Will throw out Ernie Stautner as well. Never played in an actual playoff game.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Looks like neither Matson nor Stautner were in the playoffs, so the answer I heard was wrong. There's still one more.

9. micropolitan guy

Ha I remember now. He was a great player for the St. Louis football Cardinals.

MTM likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

These are not questions but I just read some interesting "trivia" about Ichiro's 2004 season, when he set the MLB record with 262 base hits. It's a great season that is always overlooked when conversations about great seasons come up. He finished at .372, one of four seasons of .350 or better.

* He had three 50-hit months. No other MLB player has more than two.

* He hit .463 in August.

* He hit .405 on the road.

* He hit .401 vs. lefties.

* He hit .380 in day games, .370 in night games.

* He hit .429 after the all-star break.

* He hit .385 leading off an inning; .376 with RISP; .481 with RISP and two outs; and .583 with the bases loaded, with 80 (of 161) multi-hit games.

Only four players have more than one 230-hit seasons in their careers: George Sisler, Rogers Hornsby, Freddie Lindstrom and Ichiro; only one has three, Ichiro in 2001, 2004 and 2007. He would have had 230+ in 2009 but he played in a career-low (as a starter) 146 games and finished with 225. He played in 157 or more games from 2001 until 2012.

Tighthead likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Larry Wilson?

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

He's the third.

Draft saved Draft deleted