1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nope. Right league, though, and right era.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Valenzuela and Scoscia or Yeager.

3. micropolitan guy

No. Bob Boone and Randy Lerch of the Phillies in the famous 23-22 game at Wrigley in 1979.

Another good one: Who is the only player in MLB history with consecutive double letters in his last name?

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Don Bookkeeper.

5. micropolitan guy

Don't want this thread to go stale:

Who is the only player in MLB history with consecutive double letters in his last name?

Larry Biittner.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Softball toss to get stuff rolling: what mlb franchise has the current longest drought of not winning a World Series?

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'll expand the answer:
    MLB: Cleveland
    NFL: Arizona/St. Louis/Chicago
    NHL: Toronto
    NBA: Atlanta/Syracuse (This one's a guess. I'm pretty confident with the others.)

Which team that has never won a title has the longest drought?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

Buffalo Sabres and Vancouver Canucks (est. 1970) and Buffalo Braves/San Diego Clippers/Los Angeles Clippers (est. 1970) have to come close. Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans and Los Angeles/San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers and the Bills (all 1960) are working on almost 80 years if you don't count the AFL as winning a title.

The Detroit Lions might have the longest drought, but they've won a title.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. cyclingwriter2

If you don’t count AFL titles, going with the Texas Rangers. No titles since springing to life as the Washington’s Senators in 1961.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

That's the answer.

Phoenix has the longest in the NBA (51 years, two more than Clippers), and Micropolitan is right with the others.

I find it curious that Kansas City is the only MLB 1969 expansion team to win a title. The Padres, Pilots/Brewers and Expos/Nationals only have three World Series appearances between them.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I think you mean Atlanta/St. Louis for the NBA one (and they were in Milwaukee and Tri-Cites before that). Syracuse was the team that eventually became the 76ers.

12. cyclingwriter2

Also, assume you mean Atlanta/St. Louis? I think the kings have a longer streak since a title than the hawks.

Draft saved Draft deleted