1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hostetler wouldn't have played enough to put up those numbers. IIRC, he didn't become the starter until Week 12 or 13 when Simms got hurt. Same with Nick Foles.

I'll go with Bob Griese and Doug Williams.
    With Griese, the Dolphins didn't throw a ton and being upside down on TDs to INTs was not uncommon before they changed the passing rules.
    And with Williams, I know the Redskins were a running team, he probably missed a couple of games because of the strike, and IIRC he was in and out of the lineup during the season, all of which would have kept his numbers from being off the charts.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looked it up, but I'll throw one out there that I figured out on my own — Peyton Manning. Running through all of the Super Bowl QBs in my head, and it took me getting to him to remember how much he struggled in that 2015 season. And then only playing half of it limited his production even more.
    I was sort of on the right track with Williams, in thinking of guys who didn't play full seasons.

With the other one, it's not Griese but I was on the right track with the logic.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bart Starr (1967) and Peyton Manning (2015).

garrow likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Name the only MLB player to play for three 100-loss teams in the same season? As a hint, it happened in 1985.

garrow likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

We had what is thought to be the first Black offensive line in NFL history - and it didn't happen until the 2000s. Which team are we?

6. cyclingwriter2

Gonna guess the Raiders because why not.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

That would be the Dallas Cowboys of 2002, mon ami.
    Emmitt broke his record in October and the team went 5-11 under Dave Campo.

Flozell---------Kelvin-------------Andre---------------Larry-----------Solomon
    Adams--------Garmon-----------Gurode--------------Allen-----------Page

You might recall Gurode as the chap who was essentially assaulted during a game by Albert Haynesworth.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

Seeing no takers, Johnnie LeMaster was the one player away for a championship for the 100-loss Giants, Indians and Pirates that year.

garrow likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Which is the oldest team to never have a MLB MVP?

10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Brewers?

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

No. They had four players including Rollie Fingers and Robin Yount.

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Meet the Mets.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted