1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Raiders, when the AFL first formed, the Raiders were supposed to play in a different city than Oakland, and the franchise is was even was listed as this city during the first AFL draft.

What city was the Raiders originally supposed to play in?

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I think I read somewhere that it was Minneapolis.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. Bingo. The AFL had a Minneapolis franchise, then the NFL offered to let their owners in the league as an expansion franchise, and they accepted, which led to the Vikings. The AFL subsequently chose Oakland as a second West Coast city to go with the LA Chargers, and the Oakland franchise was given the players that Minneapolis drafted.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There was still considerable anger toward Max Winter and the Vikings from the old-school AFLers before Super Bowl IV and they were very pleased when the Chiefs kicked their asses. The old-school AFLers justifiably felt Winter had left them high-and-dry by bailing at the last second.

Obviously Oakland was not prepared for pro football, it didn't even have a stadium in the city until 1962 or 1963 or so when they moved from Kezar/Candlestick to Frank Youell Field, which was worse than most high-end Texas high school stadiums.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Who holds the single-season record for most home runs and fewest RBI?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Joc Peterson had 26 HR and only 54 RBI in 2015 but I know there is someone out there with 30+ homers and only 50-some RBIs. I thought it was Mickey Tettleton but it wasn't.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

It's a tough one. I'll offer a hint: '96 Orioles / notable PED suspect / sideburns

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Assuming you're referring to Brady Anderson.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

You would be right. And I thought you'd had me on ignore.

Well done.

The top three:
    • Brady Anderson: 50 HR and 110 RBI (1996 Orioles)
    • Willie Mays: 52 HR and 112 RBI (1965 Giants)
    • Mark McGwire: 52 HR and 113 RBI (1996 Athletics)

10. 3_Octave_Fart

That '96 was a roided-up season.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why would I do that?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, talk about an outlier. Did he ever even hit 20 homers in any other season?

Draft saved Draft deleted