1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Was it a guy named joe grzenda?
    Edit: only reason I know/remember this is he was from near my home town and there was a grzenda in my little league. When I found his name in baseball encyclopedia years ago, I was fascinated how he spent a decade bouncing between organizations and up and down in the majors. Finally, under Billy Martin, he got a chance to be a middle reliever and found success. Which make sense, he was probably some scrappy drinker from Scranton, the kind of guy Martin could get max results from. The power of the internet helped me find the senators thing in recent years.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, Joe Grzenda. He had a career year with the 1971 Senators, played one more season in MLB, then was gone. He died in July, 2019.

Obituary: Joe Grzenda (1937-2019)

Just finished a book on the expansion Senators (1961-71). Bob Short was an asshole, who ruined what should have been a decent franchise. A total buy low, disinvest and then sell high guy who did the exact same thing with the Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers.

It's sad how bad ownership can poison a market for more than 30 years, as what happened with baseball in Washington.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This came up Tuesday night as the Padres Dinelson Lamet had a no-hitter in the sixth inning, which, of course ended and extended the franchise's history of never throwing a no-hitter.

Besides the obligatory Clay Kirby story, it was said that 11 future Padres threw no hitters before joining the team. Among the group are a Hall of Famer, a six-time All Star and a Cy Young winner. Name them.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll never get all 11 in one sitting, but I think the hall of famer is Gaylord Perry.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

That's right.

I'd be shocked if anyone could get all 11. That's why I just picked a few.

I'll add a fourth guy had a perfect game.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did Jake Peavy ever throw one?

7. cyclingwriter2

I wish I had somehow written a story on him just to figure out what kept him going all those years of scuttling around. His first Mlb career was in 1961 and his second was in 1969.

8. cyclingwriter2

wow, this has potential for a lot of wacked out answers:

Perry (already named)
    Kevin Brown
    Mark Langston
    Vida Blue
    John Montefusco

and that is about all I can remember in a padres uniform and having a no hitter.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Andy Hawkins threw one (a loss) after he left the Padres.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Perry and Brown are the HoFer and all-star I referenced. Montefusco is another. Langston isn't among the 11 because his was a combined no-hitter. Rollie Fingers was part of a joint no-no too. Hawkins had his taken away.

None of the other guys mentioned are on the list.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

David Wells and Fernando Valenzuela are two of them.
    I'm going down my mental list of guys I remember throwing no-hitters and sort of remember playing for the Padres at some point.

And is it a no-hitter at any point in their career, or just before they joined the Padres?

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The question said players who threw no-hitters before they joined the Padres.

Just thought of another: Jered Weaver threw a no-no for the Angels in 2012, and pitched his final season with the Padres.

Draft saved Draft deleted