1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Herschel Walker, Mike Rozier, Steve Young and Bo Jackson?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1-for-4.
    Mike Rozier was the first pick of the Pittsburgh Maulers in 1984. Since they were a spring league, the USFL's first three drafts were held in Januray.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I want to say Jerry Rice and Dan Marino are two of the others.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They are indeed. Marino in the 1983 draft and Rice in '85.
    One more. I'd never heard of the guy before I saw his name, but he did play seven seasons in the NFL.

5. cyclingwriter2

I vaguely remember them being the top picks because there was the great myth that they were unwanted/under appreciated by scouts and thinking, “wait, a minute, the usfl scouts felt they were the best.”

No idea who the fourth might be. I wildly guess Vai Sikahema because no on ever guesses Vai.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It's easy to forget that Herschel Walker wasn't actually drafted. The N.J. Generals (before Trump bought the team) just went and signed him as an underclassman, which caused quite a commotion with the NCAA and NFL.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Marino was picked by the LA Express and he appeared at a team event on his way to or from the Hula Bowl. No one expected him to sign, but it created a little buzz.

I was a college broadcast journalism student at the time and I interviewed him. Somehow I messed up the tape machine and it didn’t get recorded. I was too embarrassed to ask again.

The day was saved when one of the Express cheerleaders, who was the prettiest girl at my high school, recognized me and sought me out to say hi.

Batman, ChrisLong and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Paying it off before bed time ...
    The fourth and final No. 1 overall pick of the USFL draft was Mike Haight, an offensive tackle from Iowa, in 1986. He was drafted by the Orlando Renegades (ahead of future NFL stars Tony Casillas, Jim Everett and Ernest Givins in the first round).
    The league folded before he ever played in the USFL, but luckily he had been the Jets' first-round pick in the NFL draft a week earlier. In keeping with Jets tradition, he played six undistinguished seasons for them. He started 43 of 63 games, didn't become a full-time starter until 1989, and spent one last season with the Redskins in 1992 before calling it quits.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another draft question: No NFL player drafted after 2003 has yet been elected to the Hall of Fame. However, since the draft was started in 1936 through 2003, only two draft classes have the distinction of producing zero hall of famers. What years were they?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  10. cyclingwriter2

One of them is in the 1980s. Maybe 1988 or 1987 with me leaning more toward 1988 being it.

11. cyclingwriter2

Answers: Ken Williams was the non Ruther (as got by Baron)

The seven: Gehrig, Speaker, Baker, Meusel and Wally Pipp (two times), Tillie Walker (who tied with Ruth in the deadball era but did hit 34 for the As a few years later) and Braggo Roth, who hit seven during a split season between the Indians and the White Sox. That 1915 in season trade between the two teams is the one that sent Shoeless Joe Jackson to the Pale Hose.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Maybe my favourite Berman nickname ever: Vai “Ask Vai” Sikahema.

Webster and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted