1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Omar Moreno?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's one of them. LeFlore led the American League in 1978, with 68 steals with the Tigers, and then led the NL in 1980 with 97 steals for the Expos. That was also the only season he played in the National League in a nine-year career.

Omar Moreno is not correct.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tim Raines?

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Read this in today's Los Angeles Times.

Who was the last NFL player to score a one-point conversion without kicking the ball?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not him, either. He led the NL four times, but never led the American League.
    I'll go ahead and pay it off ... It was Juan Pierre, who led the National League twice (with the Rockies in 2001 and Marlins in 2003), and the American League in 2010 with the White Sox.
    Pierre was never an elite talent, but he was surprisingly productive. He finished with 2,217 hits, 94 triples and 614 stolen bases. He's in the top 20 all-time for stolen bases and in the top 10 among post-WWII players, led the NL in hits twice, and had five straight seasons of playing all 162 games. He always seemed like a role player, yet he was in a lineup almost every day for most of the 14 years he was in the majors.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Is it Nolan Cromwell? He was the holder for placekicks during his time in the '80s, and I remember he once couldn't get the snap down on the PAT and instead just got up and ran it into the end zone.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I remember him doing that. But this guy is later.

IIRC, it was in overtime to win the game for the Rams

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jay Novacek? Like Cromwell, he was a regular player who was the holder.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Not him

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Testaverde?

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Another good guess, but no.

HINT: The player has ties to Los Angeles.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

That was actually on a designed fake-field goal against the Vikings at the Coliseum. 11-year-old me was at that game. The PAT came at another time.

MTM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted