1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think that's Newark.

In the last 100 years, only two AL rookies have hit .300, scored more than 100 runs and stolen more than 40 bases. Who are they? Here's a hint; they were teammates in their first year in the majors.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We have a winner! Ruppert Stadium, Newark. Home of the 1937 Bears, better than many major league teams that year.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

Ichiro and Scott Podsednik? Podsednik got a cup of coffee before his full rookie season, if I remember correctly.

4. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

Never mind, now that I look it up Podsednik came up briefly a couple times with the Mariners, but had his full rookie year with the Brewers in the National League.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I want to say mike trout is one, but for the life of me I can’t figured out who the other one would be.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No, MU Tigers is correct, I screwed up and thought the Brewers will still in the AL in 2003. Ichiro with Seattle in 2001, Podsednik with the Brewers in 2003, his true rookie year. Another good, young outfielder the Mariners lost.

7. cyclingwriter2

In 1990, Willie McGee won the NL batting title. George Brett did the same in the AL. However, neither man had the highest official batting average in all of MLB. Who was that man and how did this happen?

8. goalmouth

This East Coast city was the last minor league stop for a future HoFer -- and the only season he failed to homer -- who also was an MVP and wore six numbers in his MLB career.

9. cyclingwriter2

Newark. Ricky Henderson. Though, I wanted to write jersey city just to mess with you.

10. goalmouth

It was Jersey City.

11. goalmouth

How about, longest standing baseball record that's probably incorrect? I'll say Cy Young's career W-L record.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth's RBI total isn't an MLB record (it was for a long time) but there are plenty of discrepancies about it among various record keepers.

goalmouth likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted