1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Me either, until yesterday. I caught the end of the MLB Network show on the 1978 season and they mentioned him tearing it up in (I think) Game 5 when they were recapping the World Series.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Only two teams Clemens didn’t beat are the Braves and Dodgers.

He had six starts against the Braves. The first was as a Blue Jay in 1997, when he got off to an 11-0 start. He lost his next decision and went into that game against Atlanta 11-1. He went the distance, striking out 12 with no walks. Unfortunately the Jays were awful and couldn’t manage a run off Denny Neagle and lost 3-0.

Batman likes this.
  3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Super Bowl 50 is the only Super Bowl without Roman numerals in its official name.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

First Heisman winner to have a college football stadium named after him? (Likely only as well)

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nile Kinnick.

6. cyclingwriter2

Bam. Nailed it

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I was watching the Cubs-Cards 23-22 game on MLB the other day. There were three pitchers in the game who recorded the last out of a World Series. Name them, and no cheating!

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

One is definitely Bruce Sutter. My stabs at the other two (no peeking, I swear): Darold Knowles and Willie Hernandez.

10. goalmouth

Sutter and Hernandez, (not yet Willie) yes. I thought Hernandez was the tough one.

11. cyclingwriter2

One has to be tug McGraw. Bruce Sutter could be another.

12. goalmouth

Yes, McGraw, Sutter and Hernandez.

Extra credit: Donnie Moore had a triple in the 23-22 game and batted like .280 for his career.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted