1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I thought you meant career passing numbers. I'd guess Marino for that one.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Actually, Namath is still the Jets career passing yard leader as well. So he at least predates Marino, but I think even Len Dawson predates both of them.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Scrolling through some of the longer-tenured single-season leaders. Looks like the others are all from 2000 onward.
    • Jets - Joe Namath (1967)
    • Browns - Brian Sipe (1980)
    • Chargers - Dan Fouts (1981)
    • Dolphins - Dan Marino (1984)
    • Titans/Oilers - Warren Moon (1991)

Some other fun notes from this search:
    • The 49ers' single-season leader is not Joe Montana or Steve Young. It's Jeff Garcia in 2000.
    • Three of the Jaguars' top four season totals (including No. 1) belong to Blake Bortles
    • Derek Carr is, somehow, already the Raiders' career passing yardage leader
    • Only three of the Browns' top 10 season totals are from this century, and Baker Mayfield has two of them
    • Only four of the Jets' top 10 seasons have been in this century. Namath's 4,007 yards in 1967 is the only 4,000-yard season the franchise has had.
    • Brett Favre is only in the Packers' top 10 twice (1995 and 1998). Aaron Rodgers has six, and then Lynn Dickey and Don Majkowski one each. Dickey's franchise record set in 1983 endured the Favre years and wasn't broken until Rodgers squeaked past him by about 200 yards in 2011.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

Batman can’t answer because he probably found it during his research, but which was the final franchise to have a 4000 yard passer for the first time?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good catch, my bad. Didn't think there would be two guys in the same era with that unusual of a name.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Did we ever get this answer?

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Jason Marquis.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Muhammad Ali was only ever cut once as a professional;. Which champion busted up the Greatest?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Norton?

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Henry Cooper? I remember Cooper knocked him down.

Or Ernie Terrell. He was a brawler.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not Norton, who gave him all sorts of trouble and busted his jaw, or Cooper who Ali busted up but who also knocked him down. Not Terrell.

12. cyclingwriter2

Earnie Shavers?

Draft saved Draft deleted