1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stabler? Young?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Jared Goff's dad played MLB but not sure if he was drafted.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Stabler is another.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I might have missed it, but what was the final answer for the scoring champions that later played for the Celtics? Thanks.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Amazes me that Shaq shot .582 from the field and only .527 from the stripe. Is there anyone whose career FG percentage is that much higher than his FT percentage?

6. CD Boogie

Shaq

Liut likes this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sorry, CD. Who were the other players?

8. CD Boogie

I'm a little confused. I think there were actually 5. The three you named -- Bob McAdoo (thanks, Baron), Archibald and Pistol Pete -- and Dominique Wilkins and Shaq.

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks, man. I know I was confused.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The answer, courtesy Ballpark Road Trips on Facebook, where I found it

Starting Super Bowl QBs drafted in baseball

Baseball runs in the family for Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes. His father, Pat, pitched for six teams over 11 MLB seasons. The younger Mahomes was a 37th round baseball draft choice by Detroit in 2014.

Mahomes will join several other starting Super Bowl quarterbacks who were drafted in baseball:

Russell Wilson: A two-time starter in the big game and winner of Super Bowl XLVIII, Wilson was selected twice in baseball: by Baltimore out of high school (41st round) and in the fourth round by Colorado in 2010. Wilson played two seasons in the Rockies minor league system, hitting five home runs. Wilson appeared at Spring Training with the Rangers and Yankees

Colin Kaepernick: San Francisco's starting QB in Super Bowl XLVII, Kaepernick was an all-state pitcher in high school. The Cubs selected him in the 43rd-round.

Tom Brady: The Patriots QB has started nine Super Bowls, winning six and earning MVP honors four times. The Montreal Expos selected Brady as a catcher in the 18th round in 1995.

Steve McNair: Tennessee's starting quarterback in Super Bowl XXXIV and a high school shortstop, McNair was a 35th round selection by Seattle in 1991.

Kerry Collins: Collins started for the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV, won by Baltimore. A shortstop and third baseman, Collins was selected by Detroit in the 26th round in 1990. He chose Penn State over baseball.

Dan Marino: Marino was 23 when he faced off against Joe Montana in Super Bowl XIX. It turned out to be the only Super Bowl for the legendary Dolphins QB. The Kansas City Royals made Marino a fourth round selection out of high school in 1979. Marino went 23-0 on the mound and batted over .500, however, he selected football over the diamond.

John Elway: Marino was the first of two Hall of Fame quarterbacks selected by the Royals in 1979. Kansas City selected Elway in the 18th round. Elway opted to attend Stanford. He was drafted again in 1981, by the Yankees in round two. Elway played 42 games for the 1982 Oneonta Yankees, batting .318 with four home runs. Elway started five Super Bowls for the Broncos, winning two.

Ken Stabler: The lefty led the Raiders to victory in Super Bowl XI. He was selected three times in baseball - by the Yankees, Mets and Astros, though he never signed.

Joe Namath: While his prep career predates baseball's draft, we can't omit the man who guaranteed Super Bowl III. Broadway Joe received multiple professional baseball offers and wanted to play for his local team, the Pirates. He chose to attend Alabama for football.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know there have been a few NFLers who turned to football after realizing it wasn't going to happen for them in baseball. Name the last player to pull the Tebow and play in their first MLB game after concluding their NFL career.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Brian Jordan?

justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted