1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That is correct.
    As a side note, one of the people he beat out for the Heisman was Notre Dame halfback William Shakespeare, who had one of the best nicknames I've ever seen -- "The Merchant of Menace."
    And, in 1935, Shakespeare led Notre Dame against a Northwestern squad featuring All-American end Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (just a football player, not the famous poet who died 50 years earlier).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Got the hockey question after looking it up. I was familiar with the school because one of my favorite players from years past went there. Never heard of it until he came on the scene.

3. Hickory Smoke

Hickory Smoke New Member

Similar situation. I figured it had to be that school, and then checked the nickname.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I looked it up. Fuck, how did I miss it! It was 20 some years ago, but I actually tried to attend one of their hockey games against their rivals because I heard it was a “thing to see.” Got snowed out on the way.

5. ChrisLong

I had no idea what their nickname was, but I'm sure another school with that nickname doesn't have a hockey team.

Hickory Smoke likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finally dug out the hockey mascot question. I guess it isn't a surprise so many teams are called Lakers and Huskies given the location.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Since several looked it up, I'll reveal the answer: The Clarkson University Golden Knights, out of Potsdam, N.Y. They're Division III in their other sports. When I researched this question, I thought for sure there'd be a hockey program from a "Bruins" school, but it wasn't to be. There's a Chargers (Alabama-Huntsville) and two Mavericks (Minnesota State-Mankato and Nebraska-Omaha), however.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I got another one. A while back, I asked who the only man was who was on a World Series champion and an NFL championship team, and the answer was Hinkey Haines.

So now, I found a new one: Who is the only man to play in a World Series and in the Masters?

9. ChrisLong

First I heard of Clarkson was when the Kings drafted Dave Taylor. He was the guts of the Triple Crown Line with Marcel Dionne and Charlie Simmer. He overcame a severe stuttering condition to eventually become Kings GM.

cyclingwriter2 and Liut like this.
  10. ChrisLong

If I recall, Bill Foley, the Vegas owner, is an Army man and wanted to name the team the Black Knights. But he couldn't because that was Army's nickname (some copyright mumbo-jumbo). When he settled on Golden Knights, I wondered if Central Florida would be pissed off. But nobody cares about them, so it didn't matter. I guess Clarkson didn't matter either. I thought he should have gone with Silver Knights, because Nevada is the Silver state. California is the Golden state.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’ll bite, though I am 99.9 sure I’m wrong, Rick Rhoden.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope. Good guess though.

It was Sammy Byrd. Played a few years with the Yankees as a backup outfielder. He got in the last inning of the last game of the ‘32 World Series by subbing for Babe Ruth. He played a few more years for the Reds as a starting outfielder, then became a pro golfer. He actually had third and fourth place finishes at the Masters during the early 1940s.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted